• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson Neck Sizer Bushing Help 7mm-08

Helmet

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2012
Central California
I'm getting ready to order a Wilson neck sizer for 7mm-08, but I don't know what bushing size to get. I'm just starting in this caliber so I don't have a loaded round to measure. I'm going to be using Winchester brass. If anyone has gone this route already can you please tell me what bushing sizes work best for you? Thanks.

Re: Wilson Neck Sizer Bushing Help 7mm-08

~ Contact Wilson and let them know you want a Bushing Neck Die
~ HandLoad 3ea (I did 4ea) 7mm-08 rounds using your Winchester cases
~ Fire the 3ea rounds & ship to Wilson. Fired cases allow selection of the proper bushing sizes (ie. ideal neck tension)

Example:
For my 300WM, using Norma cases, Wilson return shipped the following: 229 bushing (.329) INSTALLED in Bushing Neck Die, 230 bushing (.330), and 231 bushing (.331). I asked for these two addl bushings ($20ea) for neck tension options.

You can calculate bushing size selection via two methods, referenced from the Wilson Instructions accompanying the Die.

Option 1: Measure your loaded round at the neck. The micrometer reading will indicate bullet diameter, plus twice the wall thickness of the neck. The bushing diameter must be obviously LESS than this, and we selected 0.003" smaller. Figuring the spring back of the case neck AFTER sizing, it would yield ~ 0.002" 'grip' on the bullet.

Option 2. Bushing Size = Bullet Diameter + [(Neck Wall Thickness x 2) - 0.003"]

Note: Assuming you are planning to use to Bushing Neck Die with the Wilson Chamber Type Bullet Seater. If this is the case, be sure you try an UNLOADED case in the Bullet Seater (regardless if the case was NO or FL sized). Why? Need to confirm that your case can be pushed until it is flush with the bottom of the Seater. IF it won't go flush with the Seater, or if it requires a small screwdriver to remove under the rim/head, THEN the Bullet Seater needs to be opened up by Wilson to fit your cases. Recall, the Bullet Seaters are fabricated to SAAMI specs for max allowance on cartridge manufacturers. BTW, I sent my Bullet Seater to Wilson (because it needed to opened up) when I provided them the 3ea FIRED cases needed for bushing selection. Wilson "opens up"'the Bullet Seater free of charge.

Again, recommend calling Wilson first and let them know what you want to achieve.

Hope this answered your question.

Aloha

I appreciate all the info. My big difficulty is I'm not only buying the dies, but also the brass, the bullets, and even the barrel lol. Not knowing the bushing size is holding me up from placing the final order. Everything will be in the mail at the same time. I will call Wilson tomorrow though. I'll post what they tell me.

Well I called Wilson and what I learned was that they aren't going to guess either. You would think that after all the people that have sized Winchester 7mm-08 brass in their neck sizer dies that they would have a pretty good idea what bushing I need. Nope, not even a rough guess. She had a pretty voice, but nothing very useful to say. They probably don't want to give a number or people will complain that they told them the wrong size.

LOL on the pretty voice. ShoNuff! Wilson just wants to get it 100%. Once you send 'em your fired brass, you'll be GTG. Good luck.

I saw that McCourt Munitions LLC had stated in another thread that Winchester brass was between .0135" and .014" thick. So I doubled that number (.027" to .028") and added it to .284. That gave me between .311" and .312". So the pretty voice lady said I needed to get a bushing about .003" under the diameter of a loaded round so I settled on a .309" bushing. So I had found all the stuff I needed at http://www.brunoshooters.com at a great price so I order it. The next day they call me and tell me they don't have the Wilson .309" bushing I ordered. Dang it! I had to do math and everything! OK, a Wilson .310" bushing then. Nope, don't have that either. Fine, so I end up with a Redding .310" bushing for my Wilson neck sizer die. I went with the .310" Redding because I heard the Redding bushings run a little small. I hope this works.

I ended up with a collection of bushings. It will vary according to the brand of brass since they vary in neck wall thickness. Other factors that will affect your neck diameter after sizing include age of your brass (firings since last annealing), brass alloy (harder or softer), sizing technique (do you let it sit in the die for a few seconds or do a quick in and out), etc.

That's what I anticipate happening with me also. I'm hopeful that the Redding .310" bushing will work for awhile at least. Can you tell me which sizes of bushings you've collected for 7mm08?