• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Wilson TTU trigger

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    A little over a year ago, I posted here that I had an AR5 lower with a Wilson TTU trigger group that "bump fired": one trigger pull, 2 rounds fired. The upper on the rifle was a 6.8 SPC2 firing higher-pressure "tactical" loads.

Shortly thereafter, for entirely other reasons, I sold the 6.8 upper and have continued to use the lower with a few 5.56 uppers, no problems at all.

A few months ago, I finally put together and began breaking in a 40-cal upper, it is recoil-operated. Break-in was uneventful, and it has had a few hundred more rounds down the tube since then.

On its last trip to the range, it bump-fired: one pull, 3 rounds. It didn't do it every pull, but it did it. I handed the rifle to a friend who fired a few rounds then got a 5-shot burst.
    Needless to say (since the SBR lower is not a Form4 full auto) this is disconcerting.

It seems the recoil from the higher-recoil calibers (and the recoil from a recoil-operated upper) is sufficient to trip the sear. Other thoughts?

When I posted on this back the fist time, a few said sometimes TTU's go full-auto when worn out. The trigger has definitely been well used, but shouldn't be anywhere near worn out - and this only happens with non-5.56 uppers.

I am not a newbie, I am not being bitch-slapped by recoil. I understand a smooth rearward pull and a good follow-through. I am riding the sear and only letting off enough slack to reset.

Thoughts?

My plan is to take the TTU out and replace with something else and see if this solves the problem. I do want to know if the TTU is more "recoil-shock sensitive" as that will dictate which guns it does NOT go in, now and in the future.

Re: Wilson TTU trigger

I would send it in..
    I have a single stage TTU that has 4 years of continuous use.
    At least 2K rounds of 6.8 and more than that on 5.56

Mine was tuned light at 3lbs from the factory for me too..

Re: Wilson TTU trigger

Hand one do the same thing. I would also do it while cycling by hand. Called wilson, they got me a new one. No probs since.