• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Win 1897 getting trench gun treatment.

NC-K9

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2019
Been fascinated with trench guns for a while now. It would so bad ass hanging on the wall in my gun room. Not to mention I can't wait to slam fire one. Finally decided to quit looking at them online and build one.

Found a 1925 Winchester 1897 fairly local and got a great deal on it. Somebody put an adjustable choke on it, so I don't feel to bad about hacking the barrel off.

Picked up an pretty sweet bayonet on eBay and a sling as well.

Ordered a heat shield/bayonet lug, magazine plug and rear sling swivel a few days ago. But it'll probably be a month or so till it gets here.

Just want to be prepared in case an Antifa riot gets too close and I fear for my life.
0824191917_HDR.jpg

Yep, pretty nice looking old shotgun!! But, yes, beware the notorious " 97 slide-bite"!!!! Ha Ha, I love those old 97's tho!!!!!

Been fascinated with trench guns for a while now. It would so bad ass hanging on the wall in my gun room. Not to mention I can't wait to slam fire one. Finally decided to quit looking at them online and build one.

Found a 1925 Winchester 1897 fairly local and got a great deal on it. Somebody put an adjustable choke on it, so I don't feel to bad about hacking the barrel off.

Picked up an pretty sweet bayonet on eBay and a sling as well.

Ordered a heat shield/bayonet lug, magazine plug and rear sling swivel a few days ago. But it'll probably be a month or so till it gets here.

Just want to be prepared in case an Antifa riot gets too close and I fear for my life.View attachment 7136118
Where'd you get the heat shield from? I've got a '97 riot gun I planned on trench-gunning myself.

He (don't think I ever asked his name) seems really nice. I'm sure you can pick it up and pay cash. They do gunsmith work too.

The mounts are made to order though, 5-6 weeks turn around!

Mine does need some interior work. If they can help with that plus install the heat shield for me, all the better!

It's been just over a week since I ordered mine. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it and after it's blued.

It's been just over a week since I ordered mine. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it and after it's blued.
Heh oh yeah I'll need to refinish this one too. Kinda a pity, I like its patina 119-YO patina, but it needs to be reparked.

Probably fix ya right up. Be should to let us know how it turns out.

My blueing looks pretty good. I'm just gonna do the shield.

Will do. It's down the list, though. Honestly I may end up keeping this one in riot style and get a takedown model sometime to turn into a trench gun. And then another takedown to keep riot-style for fending off mummies...

Finally got her done. Heatshield took about 6 weeks to receive. But it is real nice and quality is great. Looks badass without the bayonet too.

Picked up a new spring and follower that allows for 6, 2-3/4, shells.

1024191844.jpg

1024191846.jpg

Last edited:
@NC-K9 I'd forgotten about this thread! It looks great! A while back I talked to some specialty ammo-makers about recreating WWII-load shotshells for me. If you're interested at all, I can look through my emails for the convo and send you their info.

Some guy on here in the ore-scout days did one of these that was spot on. Wasn’t Arcticlight... but if you find that thread... assuming it exists, there was amazing info on parts, details, etc.

I am still searching for the right Dog of a 97 to chop up. I can’t bring myself to do it to a nice one.

cheers, Sirhr

PS. Well done to the OP!!!

Some guy on here in the ore-scout days did one of these that was spot on. Wasn’t Arcticlight... but if you find that thread... assuming it exists, there was amazing info on parts, details, etc.

I am still searching for the right Dog of a 97 to chop up. I can’t bring myself to do it to a nice one.

cheers, Sirhr

PS. Well done to the OP!!!
https://classicoldwestarms.com/ Mr. Hasser will set you up with any grade of '97 you need. Takedown, solid, riot gun, field gun, pretty, worn. Worth dropping him a line if you're in the market. Bought mine from him, asked for a serviceable full-choke 12GA riot gun that I could convert/refurbish into a trench model for reenacting purposes and not worry about messing up. Not long after I had a ca. 1910 solid-frame riot gun in my hands. Haven't had it worked on yet, though, but it's waited a hundred years to get here and I'm sure it won't mind waiting a few more.

@NC-K9 I'd forgotten about this thread! It looks great! A while back I talked to some specialty ammo-makers about recreating WWII-load shotshells for me. If you're interested at all, I can look through my emails for the convo and send you their info.
It shoots 2 3/4" shells just fine. I appreciate it though. I don't plan to shoot it very often. I want to put it behind my front door, but I think my wife would have an issue with that. Haha

Inlands repro is ready to go.

They are a bit spendy.....

I hadn't seen those. Not sure I really want one but I'm glad someone's resurrected them. Now if someone started making clones of the Stevens 520 with that nice squared-off receiver and a proper trench gun setup...

Reactions: pmclaine
@NC-K9 Build gun showed up today and repro heat shield is in the gun room. Will get started soon. Cut the barrel back over the weekend and started fitting/fixing parts
4FB26077-6F74-4B62-BDBB-DCCB919123FC.jpeg
D83504CA-9DD2-4968-BA96-7FC280746488.jpeg
6B0DE685-0031-4E30-8993-AE911E4335D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, I used duracoat on this one. I am tempted to strip it completely and have it parked though. I found a guy just down the road to do it.

It looks great but it does look duracoated.

Stripping it and parking it would be sweet.
Nothing looks quite like a good parkerizing job for sure. That was my original plan and got sidetracked with a couple other projects. I don’t think I’ll truly be happy until it gets parked though.

Nothing looks quite like a good parkerizing job for sure. That was my original plan and got sidetracked with a couple other projects. I don’t think I’ll truly be happy until it gets parked though.

Parkerizing is my favorite metal finish...

It patinas nicely and it requires that owner and rifle look after each other in order to stay healthy.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I like the looks of Bull Creek Arms, I think I will contact them about doing the conversion.
DW
I had a perfect transaction with them. Called them, discussed it in detail, and they returned it pretty quick. I don't remember, it's been awhile now but they had it less than a month.

Reactions: deltawiskey
She is a full choke 12 made in 1916... its not as nice as it looks though. It was re-blued over some rust pits so I won't feel bad about turning it into a trench gun ; )
View attachment 7466369
Chop it up and make a trench gun twin! Only qualm I had with mine is that it was a solid frame gun. Was actually the second solid frame one I did, so less hesitation the second time around.