• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Win 748

RATSACK

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Australia
Hi I am new to this forum and would like to know how members rate Winchester 748 as a powder for .308 I have read many of the postings and most of the time Varget seems to be the powder of choice.
The reason I purchased Win 748 was that I was told it handles 150-175 grain projectiles really well and that is the within the range I would like to load.

Also it meters really well in the Dillon press that I own,what I would be most greatful for is any pros&cons in using this powder.
Many Thanks in Advance to any replies

Re: Win 748

Well it looks like I was given the wrong information about Win 748 could some of the members here please let me know what's wrong with Win748, as I have purchased 8lbs of it
frown.gif
so it will be a while before I can go through that much powder
Regards and Thanks

I shoot 43gr 748, 168gr SMK, LC brass, and WLR primers in my Rem 700 SPS Tactical and it puts them on a quarter at 200 yards, I'm happy with the stuff and plane on working up a .223 load with it too.

For ball ammo it's ok. Temp sensitive yes it is. Not a good precise propellant IMO. But some have had luck with it. It does meter well. Higher charge weights have done the best for me.

I think lots of us have tried powders that "meter well" for our .308, including 748. I have three pounds of it that have been sitting for years (finally about to load some .223 with it). It just does not give as good of results as Varget and R15 in my experience. That being said, I was able to work up some decent loads, just not as magical as the others.

Just my .02

Thanks for the replies guys I was thinking that I should put the Win748 on the "one day shelf" but now I think I will load it up and use it for some target practice at shorter distances and see how it runs.
I also would like to get some recommendations on loads that have given members good results in their shooting.

Many Thanks to any replies

As you well know the dillon cant use stick powders. There is nothing wrong with 748 and its cousin blc-2. If you plan on shooting on hot days back off a grain as pressures rise quickly especially if you chamber a round in a hot chamber. Just be cautious and enjoy the powder. It wil work out for you as I have been using it for almost 30 years.

Temp sensitive, but not a huge deal
It does meter well.

its GREAT for light 308 varmit loads, im using for 155amax and getting 1/2moa at 200

Dillon measure meters RL-15, Varget, and other stick powders just fine.

If you are super concerned about each load being right on the money at 42.5 gr; that's cool but I've seen small variances not be critical when it comes to powder charging. Most accurate performance I've ever gotten in .308win was with IMR4064.

I would like to thank all the members who have offered advice/opinions on this powder,I have found it really does meter very well on the Dillon 1050.

I am currently running 43.0 grains with 150 grain projectile and it groups quite well and for general hunting, it is as good as I need and I have yet to have any signs of sensitivity to temperature.

Regards and Thanks

I don't load .308 anymore, so i can't comment on loads.

I have found that it's a good propellent for 222/223 cartidges with the lighter weight bullets, and that it meters quite well in my RL550b. It is my powder of choice for those cartridges.

Literature suggests that it should work well in the .308 with 150-ish weight bullets.

While I've never been able to recognize thermal sensitivity with it, the literature suggests it's definitely possible.

I've also noticed that when charges are on the lighter side, it tends to generate more carbon fouling.

It works well with Fed and CCI match and standard primers in my experience, and WLR/WSR primers are specifically formulated for the Win Ball powders. I've used them and they work fine.

Greg