• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Win 94 upgrades?

Arathamus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
hey guys. I posted this on the sighting devices room, but since I'm asking about irons I think this may be the better place. I'm trying to make some upgrades to an old 1968 winchester mo.94 of mine. It's factory right now, and I don't want to drill any holes in it. I am planning on replacing the stock with a boyd's laminate stock and sling swivels on new stock and mag tube, but the rear sights are what is giving me fits. I've found the skinner barrel mounted sight in brass would fit without any major modifications, and I'm trying to find out info on the 5d williams sight to see if there are any actual modifications required or if it's a simple install with no drilling to the receiver required. I know I want a rear peep sight, and I like the look of the skinner in brass, but think the williams 5d may be more accurate and adjustable.

Can I get some recommendations on sight upgrades (no optics, it's a top eject model, I don't want to do any drilling, and my intentions for this is a deer and hog rifle in brush probably most shots at 30-50 yards and nothing above 100yd.

Does your 94 have the side hole? If so, it is as stated and a direct fit, I have a 5D on a Marlin, but it had the side hole from the factory.

Reactions: Arathamus
Does your 94 have the side hole? If so, it is as stated and a direct fit, I have a 5D on a Marlin, but it had the side hole from the factory.
I really don't know. I know some of my guns front and back as far as parts, but this one I really know very little about, and while I'm working on it, it's a slow process.

Attachments

• win 94 side b.jpg
    win 94 side b.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 28
  • win94 side.jpg
    win94 side.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 29
Yep it should attach to one of the two small holes on the upper portion on the left side of the receiver. You can see the screw plugs in your pics.

Edit:
Also make sure you have some hollow ground bits so you don't bugger up your plugs. If they have never been removed hit them with some Kroil or Liquid Wrench first. They look pretty clean but better safe than sorry on small threads.

I've not used a Skinner but the pics on their site show it is top mounted. Does your 94 have similar plugs on the top of the receiver?

I've not used a Skinner but the pics on their site show it is top mounted. Does your 94 have similar plugs on the top of the receiver?
the skinner mounts in the dovetail slot of the regular stock rear sight. it'd just be a "tap out the old, tap in the new"

On the barrel? Matter of personal preference but an aperture or ghost ring is more effective closer to your eye. The Williams can act as a ghost ring for speed or low light with no aperture in it or tuned to your eye for maximum precision with one.