• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Win M70 build - what caliber?

GSPKurt

III
Minuteman
May 19, 2009
Trenton, FL.
I traded some ammo for an older M70 in 7mm Mag. I think I want to build something like a 300 RUM or 338 Win Mag. Suggestions, please? No special purpose in mind, but I would like to try 300 - 600 yard shooting in the future.

I traded some ammo for an older M70 in 7mm Mag. I think I want to build something like a 300 RUM or 338 Win Mag. Suggestions, please? No special purpose in mind, but I would like to try 300 - 600 yard shooting in the future.
I would suggest the tried and true 300 win mag. cant go wrong with that choice.

I agree, nothing wrong with the 7 Rem Mag, but if you just got to have something else, the 300 WM would be hard to beat.

GSPKurt
Sounds like you know what you are talking about but this is what I would say to any friend asking a similar question.

300 to 600 yards? Ask Carlos if he had any problem reaching that distance with his 30-06. Save your money, your barrel and your shoulder and go 30-06. Now if you get the LR bug and feel like reaching further out (the 30-06 will take you to 1000 OK), let's say 1200/1500 yards +, then go with the 300 or 338.
If you really want to send the big pills, nothing wrong with that, they'll shoot flatter and will make bigger holes.
Either way, it's all good, gotta love the M70.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

If the 7mm bbl shot good then I would stick with it. IF not then I like the .300WM but again the 30-06 is a great round for even past 1k. Your other 2 mentions rounds will also do the job. Basically, 300-600 yds is no problem for most any round that the rifle would be chambered in. A .308 will do that distance with ease so anything over that is just a bonus. If shooting no farther than 600 yds a .308 would probably be my first choice.