• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Win mag brass who makes the good stuff

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
Want to buy some quality 300 win mag brass. Who make good brass and where to buy.

300 WM brass from Bertram, Norma, and ADG brass is good to choose from. I tried several brass,and Winchester brass worked the best in my rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: calib
The best I found is once-fired military WW, I have several pieces. Second best is Lapua - this would be my favorite if I could find any more. Third best was commercial WW - prenty good enough and durable.

I had pretty good luck with RP - shot a little group with it.

I have not had good luck with Federal. I load to moderate velocity and pressure. After second firing Federal would not hold a primer. That is just too soft for me - not even worth it to crimp the primer pocket.

I have some RWS that is pretty good but odd and expensive. The cases are substantially heavier than any other 300 Win Mag brass. I had to use less powder so I guess the case volume is smaller. It is hard enough to keep shooting but my standard load didn't work in it. Based on the weights, I suspect that RWS and Norma use about the same alloy.

These are my nominal case weights with primers (I use Federal 215M). Note the norma and rws compared to everything else.

FC = 254
RWS = 278
WW commercial = 243
Norma = 274
RP = 245
WW military = 244
I don't have any empty Lapua cases to check with but I recall that they weight in the 220 to 230 range. That is not a clear memory and I didn't dig out my case book. These are rare as hair on a frog so it probably doesn't matter.

If I didn't already have some brass and I was going to buy some, I would buy WW commercial in 100ea bags and work from there. BTW, I turned necks on some of this brass because it helped. Based on a little study I did, 300 WM cases are not very consistent. Even the Lapua and WW military were only so-so and neck turning helped group size.

Winchester Blue Bag is fine, but be prepared to cull like 6-8 outta 50 right off the bat. I ain't say'n their QC is shit, it's just NON-EXISTENT. The destroyed, and I mean DESTROYED shoulders, necks, and mouths are almost comical, but not.

Winchester Brass.jpg

Nosler, Norma, and the like are obviously really good, but spendy. I load many 300WM's for a lot of people and have used everything under the sun for them at their request. Just remember when bouncing back and forth to pay attention to the different case capacities.

Attachments

• Winchester Brass.jpg
    Winchester Brass.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Saracen7
Brother I hear ya. Winchester, thank god, is still easy to find. Remington? lol, haven't seen it for ever, but then again I haven't looked. I want what's readily available so I don't have to keep screwing around with a ton of headstamps, but my 'friends' want what they want so I 've used pretty much all of it that's out there.

I can't lie, I really like Winchester, but man you better be ready to accept 40 for what you pay for 50. ;)

Have had excellent results with R-P, but be prepared to sort and cull. Use it for moderate loads. Norma very good, us3 that for the stiffer loads. I also have RWS, but like stated, it has a SUBSTANTIALLY reduced capacity, so use caution. I have a supply of Hornady too, but its soft and doesnt hold up quite as well as the primer pockets stretch fast.

I use black hills with good results

I just handle quality control, sending out freebies is all at the discretion of our marketing/sales folks, which is probably a good thing because I'd be handing bagged brass out like candy.

Your site points to retail sites: "cheaper than dirt", they don't list your brass on their web site. Sportsman's outdoor super store, they don't list your brass on their site. Nachez lists your brass, 300 WM, but they are out of stock.

And two wholesale sites: Black hills does not show your line on their rifle brass page. Steele requires a password.

Talk to your sales guys. if these guys carry your line, get them to put it on their web pages.

Norma, Lapua (Norma), RWS (if you can find it)... I think ChadTRG likes Winchester...

I also have a bunch of prepped WW-Military, and the SD on thoe was 12.

The Norma is fantasic... got a bunch of once fired Norma and thats been awesome.

RWS worked great too....

Your site points to retail sites: "cheaper than dirt", they don't list your brass on their web site. Sportsman's outdoor super store, they don't list your brass on their site. Nachez lists your brass, 300 WM, but they are out of stock.

And two wholesale sites: Black hills does not show your line on their rifle brass page. Steele requires a password.

Talk to your sales guys. if these guys carry your line, get them to put it on their web pages.

Removed incorrect info.

Last edited:
Nosler/ Norma has been my favorite and preferred so far but haven't tried any RWS.
I have a good supply of WW nickel plated that I have only used for hunting ammo reloads that has been very good as well once sorted.

Ive used Nosler too.... but at ine point I got totally screwed by them: the belts were too thick / made to the wrong dementions. Nosler refused to replace the entire lot...

I’ve a serious distrust of them, and their return policy.

I will have them look into it.

I'll be doing a review on this, but I can say this right outta the gate, I'm impressed with what I'm seeing.

20181204_140146.jpg
20181204_140133.jpg

Winchester Blue Bag is fine, but be prepared to cull like 6-8 outta 50 right off the bat. I ain't say'n their QC is shit, it's just NON-EXISTENT. The destroyed, and I mean DESTROYED shoulders, necks, and mouths are almost comical, but not.

View attachment 6968256

Nosler, Norma, and the like are obviously really good, but spendy. I load many 300WM's for a lot of people and have used everything under the sun for them at their request. Just remember when bouncing back and forth to pay attention to the different case capacities.

Very well stated! I have had great luck with Winchester brass, however the "cull rate" is increasing to the point that the Winchester brass is becoming only marginally less expensive than Norma, Nosler et al!