• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 1907 .351 Rifle

DuneShoot

Canned SemiAuto
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2014
AZ
Posted this elsewhere but haven’t got many replies.

I acquired an old Winchester semi auto in .351. I shot it a year or so ago and it functioned fine. Plan to take it apart and clean it up.

Been reading up on it and most say to replace the buffer which is no longer available. Can maybe make one out of something. Suggestions?
LINK to parts. Buffer is #5.

Would like to find some bullets and dies to try and reload. Some folks have used 556 cases which see like the least amount of labor to get to fit. It came with some ammo, little bit of brass, and a few mags.

Anyone have any experience with one? Tips for finding parts or reloading components?

IMG_0077.jpeg
IMG_0076.jpeg
IMG_0078.jpeg

I had one years ago, it was my Great Grandfathers deer rifle. Ammo was still around back then, early 70's, as I recall it was much like shooting a M-1 carbine and the round had about the same power. It was a heavy rifle, all steel and the action was blowback, much like a 22lr semi. I was not impressed with it but others were used in WW1. I still have his 1910 .401SL but have never shot that, the .351SL was stolen from me years ago. These rifles are more for collectors than shooters. Ammo is hard to locate, out of manufactor for at least 30 yrs but can be still found for a high price. Really they are wall hangers and good for conversation.

Cool, one of rifles and calibers used to kill Bonnie and Clyde in a law enforcement ambush....favored by cops back in the day, when gangsters brought out the BAR and Tompson full autos to bear against them, and their 38 Special revolvers.
It's a collectors item...but I'm not a collector.
I'd shoot it, alot...here is some loading data.
You'd have to resize 350 Legend or heavy 9mm jacketed bullets to .351 in a cheap Lee sizing die, for bullets ....simple.
Brass can always be made from another caliber, of you have a lathe, and collets.
So I'd resize 160 gr or 180 gr 350 Legend bullets, which are .355" to .357" down to. 351" and load it with imr 4227...then go shoot it.

Attachments

• 20240316_225214.jpg
    20240316_225214.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 18
They and the larger .401 SL were kin to the Winchester 03 and 63 .22LR. All designed by TC Johnson from Winchester. The RF versions were tube fed through the stock. The CF versions were fed from box magazines.

They were often purchased by local police, state police, NG units and various bureaus of prisons. State, federal and military. Many were marked on wood, metal or both identifying them as such. ie. Illinois State Police #17, Federal Bureau of Prisons etc.

The center fire box magazines were available in 5, 10, 15 and 20 round versions iirc.
I have seen a few Deluxe models with very highly figured wood and even engraving. One I saw in .401 was fitted with a Maxium suppressor and marked Chicago PD. It was reportedly used to put down injured horses.

Well built guns but obsolete today.

I bet you will have to make one.

Wolfe Springs replacement recoil spring...
https://www.gunsprings.com/WINCHESTER/07/cID2/mID120/dID324

If you do figure it out.... you might be able to sell them ? There seems to be a "need" for them... just sayin"

I don't know what material would be comparable to the "fiber buffer" originally used, nor have I found specific dimensions.

I "think" this link shows a used buffer>>> Buyer beware... just showing the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2046702974...V4DPK9&hash=item2fa74ce53f:g:rywAAOSwfYhl3QJn

Another thread with some useful info...
https://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards.com/thread/384/recoil-buffer-replacement

Winchester-Model-1907-Buffer-scaled.jpg

wm_9441634.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
I’ve never resized a bullet.
Lee makes resizing dies for cast bullets that you just shove the bullet through it on the press. I would assume it would work for jacketed as well, just maybe takes more effort.

As for the buffer, I bet you could find some nylon washers like are used for oil plug gaskets. Stack a couple to get the thickness you need, whatever that may be.

I bet you will have to make one.

Wolfe Springs replacement recoil spring...
https://www.gunsprings.com/WINCHESTER/07/cID2/mID120/dID324

If you do figure it out.... you might be able to sell them ? There seems to be a "need" for them... just sayin"

I don't know what material would be comparable to the "fiber buffer" originally used, nor have I found specific dimensions.

I "think" this link shows a used buffer>>> Buyer beware... just showing the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2046702974...V4DPK9&hash=item2fa74ce53f:g:rywAAOSwfYhl3QJn

Another thread with some useful info...
https://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards.com/thread/384/recoil-buffer-replacement

View attachment 8374532
View attachment 8374533

Excellent info, thanks!
I read somewhere someone cut up a hard rubber mallet to use for a buffer.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Lee makes resizing dies for cast bullets that you just shove the bullet through it on the press. I would assume it would work for jacketed as well, just maybe takes more effort.

As for the buffer, I bet you could find some nylon washers like are used for oil plug gaskets. Stack a couple to get the thickness you need, whatever that may be.

More good info, thanks!

Thanks for the replies.
I’ve never resized a bullet.
Yep, serious about reloading it.
You can use 357 mag brass but its about .100" short, for plinking loads, 357 max is .200 too long, but the 460 Dan Wesson brass is just about right.
A little trim to get COAL correct and cut the rim diameter down to .410" with a little lathe cut to deepen the extractor groove.
Cheap 351self loading cases, & fairly easy that way...or buy them Quality Cartridge, who has been making them, more expensive.
Sizing bullets down is cheap and easy with the Lee buller sizing set up. And reloading dies are available.
So you could be searching for the Clyde Barrow Gang, like the peace officers of the day...or just plinking away at the range.

Reactions: DuneShoot
The buffer may be made of micarta, talking layers of canvas, and other fibrous materials encased in thermo plastics, or G10...easy to make, micarta is durable, and both machineable. Interesting video.

Finally got it apart and it took some doing. Probably hasn't been apart on 50 years :)
The rod was not letting loose even with Kroil and heat. Screwdriver would just slip out of the groove. Stuffed some wood in the action to keep the rod out of the end of the bolt and used a big set of vice grips to turn the rod. It'll be a real chore getting it back in!
Before disassembly you can see no gap where the buffer should be providing a gap to prevent metal on metal during cycling.
IMG_0107.jpg

Gun 'smif' tools ;)
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Buffer looked decent until I dug it out of there, then it came apart.

Will try and find some delrin to replace it.
IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Reactions: mtrmn and RTH1800
Just bought some gun parts from Numrich Arms ... so I checked on the 351 Win SL they are sold out of New buffers at $5 ea, but have new buffer washers, used bolt, used barrel, and other parts for this rifle.
Just have someone with a lathe make one. Micarta round stock is available for about $7 to build several out of.

Made a buffer out of delrin. Took 2 hours to get it back together and now I can't get the forend back on. The spring in the tube of the forend is not allowing the sleeve to slide over the rod that holds the spring and buffer in place. Will keep working at it.
IMG_0208.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_0209.jpeg
IMG_0210.jpeg
camphoto_684387517.JPG

Reactions: Rich4
Was having issues getting the front cocking lever on due to the spring wanting to bind. Finally dawned on me to use a paperclip to hold it back.
She's together and we will see if I die tomorrow.

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0278 Large.jpeg

IMG_0279 Large.jpeg

IMG_0281.JPG

• Love
Reactions: mtrmn and 45-90