• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 308 brass bulge?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hi, I was just sorting through some winchester brass I fired today.

I noticed several had a bulge around the vertical axis of the case near the case head, right where case head separation occurs. Well, I ran a paper clip inside the case and couldnt feel a noticeable bump. I cut the case in half and didnt see anything suspicious:

DSCF0668_zpsc8400817.jpg

The bulge isnt that noticeable in the pictures. The worst one is actually the one I dissected.
DSCF0670_zps4b2393e3.jpg

DSCF0673_zpsdc3d6481.jpg

I searched a bit and found a thread or 2 that mentioned out of spec chambers that allowed for the brass to expand too much. Should I be concerned about this?

Re: Winchester 308 brass bulge?

Maybe the guy cutting your chamber that day, had too much caffeine?

My buddy bought a new McGowen 308 barrel and the guy who cut that one was suffering the D.T.s that day.

It was a balloon.

Chris

Sweet, so should this affect accuracy or repeatability? Call remington?

Measure a virgin case, bet it is 0.462" @ 0.200" above case head.

Look at SAAMI chamber specs for a 308.

0.470" diameter at 0.200" above case head.

Ejector on Rem 700 or Win 70 will push case against chamber wall on one side, you get a bulge on one side of case.

Pull out ejector and spring, no bulge.

Brass is undersized but meets SAAMI spec.

Is a brass issue, not a chamber issue.

I pull the ejector out for first firing so I don't get bulge on one side or use LC LR / Lapua brass.