• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester #43 Primer

MJC

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2005
USA
Was surfing around and came upon the
It showed the specs for 7.62 LR ammo and it has a #43 primer. Have not heard of this primer until now and wondering what could be different about it? Maybe it is similar to the #34 but more consistent to meet accy requirements? Anyway, did not find any other info on it. Some other info on the chart-
#41 small rifle, mix# FA-956 synthetic binder (unannealed)
#34 large rifle, mix# FA-956 synthetic binder
#43 large rifle, mix# FA-1023
So....#41cups(?) appear to be unannealed and others are? Anybody know anything about this?

Last edited:
It isn't a typo, it is a different spec.
1694538769353.png

The late specs are not available in public domain.
ETA: I know folks like to fixate on cup thickness and material hardness, etc., but in the primer specs the concept that drives the designs are based on activation energy and the materials are being controlled to pass those specs, not the other way around.

It’s not a typo. It was specifically made for the military as I recall for the M72, M118, and (if I remember right) the M852 ammunitions. I believe the assumption on thicker cup and better QC were what I came across when I looked at it briefly years ago. Never really chased that rabbit, but would use the regular CCI LR primer or #34 for my M1 or M1A.

It’s not a typo. It was specifically made for the military as I recall for the M72, M118, and (if I remember right) the M852 ammunitions. I believe the assumption on thicker cup and better QC were what I came across when I looked at it briefly years ago. Never really chased that rabbit, but would use the regular CCI LR primer or #34 for my M1 or M1A.
Yep, I believe the construction is the same but standard, not magnum, compound.