• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 52 E

ericf

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
texas gulf coast (Pasadena)
I've been attempting to determine a value for this rifle for years. Something I've owned for around 18 years, and I've never seen another one anywhere. I've had a standing offer of over 2K, but it came so fast that I was afraid the value was "buyer" favored. Any Ideas ?
thanks,

_PAS00010749.jpg

_PAS00070755.jpg

_PAS00060754.jpg

Re: Winchester 52 E

I would say take the 2 grand. But if you really want more info on it check out rimfirecentral.com

I wouldn't mind selling it if I knew I could replace it later. But the fact that I've never seen another one causes me to pause. I've "kicked" myself more than once on other firearm sales. Just as soon as I got the money, the remorse started.
Rimfire central is where I received the offer.

Ericf, never get rid of the 52E in that condition. I have seen ones (C's) not that good of shape sell in Cabela's for 3k. I kick my ass every day for selling my 52C from 1959 to fund a project way back when. You cannot find them in that shape.

I am still kicking myself for selling my 52B. I say if you don't absolutely need the cash, don't sell it. They don't exactly make them anymore, you know?
Unless, of course, you want to sell it to me. ;-)

Well one thing to consider is are you in need of the money now. If your not in a bind dont sell it. The gun will not lose value unless you have custom work done to it. Now if its a gun you dont shoot or dont plan on shooting and want to sell to get a gun you will use. I would sell it. But i am a guy that likes to build and play with a lot of different guns. I dont keep much of anything long. I have owner just about every 52 there is and 2 grand for a 52E is is a hell of a deal on your part.

You have a mint condition rifle that is one of the rarest of 52's, only 1,208 were made from 1969 to 1978, of the total 125,000+ Model 52s made.

The rifle is worth more than 2K to a serious collector.

My Grandfather told me a long time ago "Boy, there are two things you never sell, Guns and Land." I've sold about 8 guns in my life and I regret all but two of them to this day.

If you don't need to keep the roof over your head, keep the rifle in the safe. Yeah, that stick is worth about $4K if not more. I'd sell a whole lot of household goods before I sold that, you'll never find another.

Cheers,

Doc

A "E" brought 6025.00 on Gun Broker in April of this year. The rifle did not even have the sights with it. The "E" on GB was in the more desirable Freeland International Stock but your rifle complete with sights is worth at least 3/4 of the Value of the International model. I would not sell it for less than 4500.00 and then you will be faced with the fact your not ever going to be able to replace it. I'd keep it if I did not need the money. If I needed the money I would sell it for full value. Whoever offered you the 2K was helping themselves out and not you. Donald

I agree...dont sell it unless it will save your health, home or loved ones. I have only seen one for sale in the past. I dont think you would be able to find another.

Sean

thanks for the "thoughts". No I don't need to sell it. (could use the extra room in the safe). But since I don't shoot .22 matches anymore, the thought of selling/trading has constantly crossed my mind. This rifle is pure factory, and a pleasure to shoot, but at around 11 lbs, it's a terror in off hand position at 200 yards. It shot rings around my Anschutz. My eyesight isn't what it used to be 15 years ago either. I now much prefer to shoot my K22 H-S with Leupy. lighter and easier to handle. Not as accurate as the Win. but I think that is a product of my increasing age.

I had one that was identical except it had a band around the barrel out toward the end of the stock and had a screw in the side of the stock where you could adjust the harmonics on the barrel, and mine had a checkered metal but plate. I sold mine about 10 years ago, and they have more than doubled in value. I regret that with a passion, I would never sell again unless my kids were starving.

Triple 6 did yours come with a 5 or 10 shot magazine or a single shot magazine adaptor? I think you've got the 52C confused with the 52E. The 52C was a repeated and had the features you describe. The 52E is much more like the 52D and is a single shot. All three are loosely based on the same action and have an over all appearence to each other. Donald

If I remember correct, it had a single shot magazine. I remember having to buy a mag that would hold 5 rounds to use in local matches. And it may have been a C, as I said that was 10 years ago. The thing I do remember is it was the best shooting factory rifle I ever owned, it was made in 1949 if that helps. It shot so well that I was asked not to bring it back to the local matches. Not bragging on my shooting ability but I am on the rifles. The barreled action was identicial to the one in the picture, stright 28" barrel .900 in diameter if I remember right.

Looked on another site, and found one that looked almost like mine, the palm rest was differant and that was all. It was a "B" model. Still kick myself.

If I may be so bold.........

From your post it seems that you were affiliated with small bore or .22 matches to some degree. Go dig up your buds and find some deserving 12 - 14 year old with outstanding potential that could never ever afford a stick like that. Put it in his/her hands and see what they can do. Chances are the payment would be priceless.

The two rifles I don't regret were sold for $1.00 each.

Cheers,

Doc

Triple 6 here's a picture of a C, D and E. The E was not made until 1968 and stoped in late 70's or early 80's. The D was not made until the 50's and is a single shot. Your rifle most like was a 52C or may be a 52B target. The picture below has the C in front, D in the middle and the E is in back. Follow the link to more pictures of the same rifles. Donald

SevenBat yes the letter in the S/N is how the 52's are identified.

DSC03733.jpg

http://s631.photobucket.com/albums/uu34/donws2/52c%2052d%2052e/

I watched a 52E sell on gunbroker in worse condition than yours, for over $3,000.

Mine looked just like the C you have there, but I don't see the adjustment screw on the right front of the stock on your C, that's why I'm thinking it was a B. Have a friend that has a book on Winchester model manufacture dates thats how I knew it was made in 1949. Doc76251, I would love to do as you stated but, for some reason you can't get kids in this area interested in shooting. I took a 3 day class to become an NRA firearms instuctor to teach rifle and shotgun merit badge to local Boyscouts thinking thats how I could get some young men interested in match shooting, we're lucky if we have enough interest to teach 1 class a year, and none want to put in the time to shoot once they qualify for the badge. I was even willing to put together a few AR's to get some interest in High Power Matches, no dice, finally give up. I could go on for hours on that subject but I don't want to bore you.

T-6,

Copy all. I too went down the BSA shooting road with much the same results, Cubmaster and Assistant Scout Master. I resigned my self to rebuilding the council's guns and giving some good instruction to those that will only handle a fire arm at summer camp.

Every now and again you get a peach.

A single mom called me up after summer camp one year. Long story short I sold "Mom" the rifle for a dollar. The lad went on to take 2nd in SB in some state after they moved. Sadly I lost track of them.

The other never went on to compete but that rifle has been putting small game on the table for a couple of years now. 2 lads and a lass get a brick of .22 delivered to their door step every Christmas. Dad and Mom get to go out to dinner once a year. Santa never misses that house.

Can't say as to which one brings me more smiles or for which reason.

Every now and then I'll hunt down a Troop and offer them a range day on me. I'm rarely ever turned down. Good for a road trip and some Karma.

Been to Otari?

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Padron it's Five safes and only three are large ones. Donald </div></div>

Good start
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Doc, I shot NRA "across the course" matches many years back. The .22 rimfire matches were run the same as the high power, only using the 22 of your choice. I started with the Winchester 52E but changed to a Anschutz, then back to the Winchester. When I started shooting these, I did so for practice for the High power matches. There were always around 6 shooters. Slowly it dwindled to me and one other. Then the match ceased to exist. I stayed with the high power until my son was around 8 years old ('95). Then I had to stop altogether. So this has been in the corner of the safe for years. Now Our club only does the .22 "silhouette" matches. So sights seem to be a thing of the past. everything has gone to scopes. I don't think any kids out there know how to shoot sights.
Sorry for the rambling.
The serial number on this one shows a '73 production.
I was told that some of these came with Canjar triggers??
I don't know how to tell what this has but it breaks like glass.
Thanks for the good info

Ottari and Powhatan are in my back yard. They are in the same county that I live in, can be on the Reservation in 15 minutes. I have a son that is 17 and get ready to get his Eagle, he's a great shot, just no interest in shooting much.

ericf my E came with a Karl Keynon trigger. Karl just announced that he's retiring. He's not going to do any more trigger work or make any more 52 triggers. Karl is in his 90's. A Keynon trigger is one of he best designs ever and will bring 600 dollars used. I know that the Keynon and Micro Motion were factory installed I've not seen a Canjar factory installed but It's a great trigger to. If it's a Keynon it will have his name on the side of the trigger " K. KEYNON ". Donald

doc, sorry , I got mixed up on the trigger. Your right, Some did come with the Kenyon triggers. Others had the factory winchester (which by no means is shabby). I'm not sure which this one has nor how to determine. Whichever it is, It's the best trigger I've used period. Not sure if it's the actual trigger itself or just the way this one has been tuned.