• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 52.....

jamkit

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
Punxsutawney, Pa.
Hello. I need some help identifying what exact model 52 I have...
I bought it for $50.00 at an older ladies house (estate sale). It was sitting in a corner and was somewhat rusty ( most of which came off with gentle steel wooling).. Anyway - it has a barrel band near the end of the stock, a five shot clip, a 10x Unertl scope almost as long as
the rifle with the external adjustments. The scope has a screw in cap at the objective bell,and a HAIR TRIGGER!! It must be around a half ounce or so! I have shot the rifle and it shoots extremely well.
The bolt and various other parts only have the number 25,810 on them?
I'm not sure exactly what it is except that it is a 52. If anyone can help me identify it, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks

Re: Winchester 52.....

You have what is referred to as a Pre-A speed lock 52. Paying $50 is taking advantage of that old Lady. the scope is worth $600+ and the rifle $300 or so in that condition. This appraisal should cost you $200

I know it sounds like that... - That she didn't know what it was - but the truth is - I had NO IDEA what it was either!
I truthfully thought it was just some surplus military junk until
a few days later when I looked it up. Thanks for the information
on the rifle.

Just so you know the next time you see "surplus military junk" The rifle the military used instead of the Winchester 52 was the Springfield M1/M2 series. Those will set you back $1000+. Even the lowly Mossberg 44US is around $200.

Oh!! I thought the military used .22 caliber! I thought the M16 was .22 also, not 223. I imagined they also used a .22 for long range sniper rifles as well instead of a .50 cal or 308. I'll know better next time. I'm also feeling kind of remorseful that i only paid $50.00 for it, even though that was the price she said she wanted. Next time, I'll offer a couple hundred more
regardless of the price.

I'm also going to phone the dealer concerning the last vehicle I bought... I only paid the asking price for that too. No wonder I dont sleep so well.