• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 52D range report

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Minuteman
  • May 9, 2018
    Virginia
    This Winchester 52D is completely stock and is one of the guns I won on the RIA regional auction few weeks back. RIA had it listed at 90-94% but it's more like 99%. Blue is 100% and the wood has minor marks on the stock were someone has hit it with the bolt when trying to remove it. The 52D is a big gun and unless you are the Hulk, it wouldn't make a good walking squirrel gun.

Specs on the rifle are:

Weight: 13lb 2oz. as shown in the photos
    OAL: 46.125"
    Barrel Length: 28"
    Barrel Dia. @ muzzle: .875"......A.K.A. Heavy Target barrel
    LOP: 14.25"
    Single shot

If you think this is a big gun then you should see the H&R Model M12.

I'm no 52 expert but I do know the 52's have a match chamber. You can chamber a round, lock the bolt down and when the round is removed you can see the rifling engraved on the bullet. This also holds true for two of my 52B repros that I got from the same auction. So far those have not impressed me. If you want to hear about those just ask.

The 52D has very little feed ramp. I had to insert the round into the chamber my hand. This was not a big deal as I had plenty of room to do so. The 52D also has two bolts on both sides of the stock near the end to adjust for barrel harmonics. The barrel on this rifle is set to one side more than the other and I shot it as is.

The optics setup is an EGW 20 MOA base, Burris Signature Series rings and a Vortex 4-24x50 Strike Eagle. BTW, this EGW rail will also work with the H&R Model M12 and the Anschutz 1813. Also worth noting with this setup the bolt handle barely clears the magnification ring.

The accuracy from this 52D really impressed me. I figured with all the different types of ammo I had on hand I would find something that shot good. On with the photos.

On the 3rd target down, the Pistol King target, 2nd column, middle row....that is what a lack of concentration can do. It's that easy to screw up. You can believe this if you want to and if not that's fine too, but a lot of shooting like this is a mental game. Now I don't shoot BR and don't claim to be any sort of an expert but I do know if you don't have total concentration on what you are doing then you are not going to get good results. That goes for me anyway. The CCI SV target "one group" could also be contributed to lack of concentration but that ammo wasn't shooting that well anyway.

Hope everyone who reads this has enjoyed it and got some entertainment or education from it. Feedback or comments are welcome but not looked for. I just post things like this because it's what I enjoy doing.

52D Left 7-19-19.jpg
    52D Left Rear 7-19-19.jpg
    52D RT 7-19-19.jpg
    52D Eley Match 7-19-19.jpg
    52D Eley Tenex Pistol 7-19-19.jpg
    52D Lapua Pistol King 7-19-19.jpg
    52D Center-X 7-19-19.jpg
    52D SK Rifle Match 7-19-19.jpg
    52D CCI SV 7-19-19.jpg
    52D Eley Club 7-19-19.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm currently taking a break from shooting one of the 52B Repros. Shot 220 rounds so far, maybe shoot another 100 and I'll be done with that.

KOD, looks like you were dangerous at Rock Island. You won some interesting stuff. I'm interested in how you are doing with the 52B Repros. The first rifle I used on the 6X5 thread is a 52C Repro. and the targets were shot in 2013. Have you removed the "lawyer pin" on your trigger group? Did you check to see if the barrel is fully free floated? The 52B has the screw in the forend and most guys simply remove this. I've had to attack the forend a number of times to keep the barrel from touching.

The 52C's best target was a .313" average and it's best group was .134". It definitely wants the barrel warmed up before shooting for record. There are reproduction magazines available through Brownells for about twelve bucks. Unfortunately, they are only five round and no tens.

Quarter Horse,

I finished up the 52B reproduction "Japan made" testing today. The two rifles were experiments from the beginning. What I mean by that is evidently the bolt on the Japan models are not serialized, therefor I really didn't know which bolt was for which gun. I had received five rifles that day and the accessory packages had gotten mixed up before the transfer at the LGS. Lawyer pins for both were removed. I could just get one down to a decent pull of 1lb 12 oz, the other would not go no less than 3.5 lbs. This one actually started out close to 6 lbs because the sear had rolled edges but after knocking those off and doing some other things got it down some.

Neither were free floated. Both had been bedded in the same manner, same material, and same location and that was something like a 1" square around the forward action screw. After seeing this it strengthened my belief that both rifles had the same owner. I shot both with the harmonics screw adjusted two ways, out and just flush with the stock. I'll probably invest in a barrel bedding tool to shave some material from the channel. One stock looked like it had been worked on in this fashion before.

Getting back to the bolts, I could get both bolts in one receiver but neither in the other "initially". I ended up shooting the Utah Commemorative first but with a crappy BSA scope that come with the auction. I had doubts about the scope but wanted/needed to shoot with it to see if I was going to keep it. In the end I determined that scope would not hold zero and one day and the ammo were wasted. After shooting the Utah edition I finally got the bolt in the other. Shot it yesterday with its heavy pull and it didn't shoot very well, the bolt was also noticeably harder (than the utah) to close. After, more or less wasting this day and ammo I swapped bolts and reshot the 52B Utah today. Changing the bolt made the trigger pull get down to 1 lbs 12 oz.

After shooting today I have come to the conclusion that the non commemorative is going up for sale. It has a bad trigger and the stock is dinged up worse. I'll hang on to the Utah for awhile as it showed the most promise and has a much better trigger pull and even though the stock is pretty plain, it's in great shape.

Target wise, I keep all my targets but I don't always take or post photos. I mean, what's good about looking at a target with on 50% of the groups at 1/2" or less, it's not even worth me taking a photo. Out of all the groups I shot from both rifles the best I could get was a 7 of 10 and a few with 6. This is with over 800 rounds shot total. One thing I noticed and that was I had a lot of vertical stringing. Would this be the harmonics screw? (that's what I call it)

I did get some photos of the rifles, I always take photos of my firearms, if for nothing else, for insurance for fire or theft purposes.

This is the 52B Utah today. Fantastic day to shoot, a little windy but not bad.

0721191109_HDR.jpg
    0721191109a_HDR.jpg
    0721191111.jpg

Here are both rifles together. Far one is the for sale one with the crappy BSA scope and $3 rings. Nothing wrong with it, it has a heavy trigger but no creep. Both feeds, extracts and ejects perfect. It's worth noting I did have feed issues with the blunt tip bullet of the Tenex and Eley Match. After taking the photo I notice my cut up underwear is in the photo. They make good oil rags and such, there's not a lot of things that get thrown away around here unless it's totally worthless.

0721191942.jpg

To wrap this up, I plan on getting a barrel bedding tool to remove material in the barrel channel to fully free float the barrel. Possibly remove the harmonics adjustment screw and barrel fixture. And/or play with the adjustment. The scope is just 14X, the others I have won't fit for one reason or another.

Suggestions or feedback is welcome, especially on this 52B.

Nice write-up and pics. The old Win 52 and 75s, along with the Rem 37s, 54xs and 51x really trip my trigger (no pun intended). I find it hard to walk past any of them w/o at fondling them, which mosre often than not leads to purchase. :p

Reactions: Kisssofdeath
    KOD - Enjoyed reading your comments and the photos. That 52D is easily the nicest old one I've ever seen, makes me wish I'd have been able to make it up to CMP's store at Perry when they were still receiving re-called 52s from ROTC schools several years ago. I was able to purchase two 52Ds from CMP at that time - one in pretty nice shape, the other one very beat-up. I kept the nicer one of the two as an original target rifle, but with the addition of a Ken Vianni scope mount, was able to mount a Weaver T24 that I've enjoyed shooting with.

At the time, I had a bad case of the hots for a 52 sporter with a nice stock, so sent the beat-up rifle to Mike Ross to have him fit & chamber a Broughton match grade bbl in the same contour as your 'Made in Japan' sporters. He indexed the bbl while test-firing it, and accuracy was very pleasing when I received the finished rifle, bedded in a fancy English walnut stock made by Doan Trevor. Doan did a very nice job on that stock - I only wish I'd have gone with a blank with more conservative grain, something mainly soft brown with contrasting darker streaks. If I hadn't been so impatient, I should've traded that D model for a C repeater. But, as it is, I've got a one-of-a-kind 52D sporter-style single shot with a stunning stock, the stock work done by a friend whose company at a few Palma matches I've truly enjoyed. Doan wasn't happy with how glossy the stock's finish turned out, and I've often thought about trying to rub it with 0000 steel wool, but just haven't worked up the nerve to screw with his work. If I were any kind of photographer, you'd be able to see that he used some Bastogne walnut for the pistol grip cap and forend tip. He also dug up a genuine Winchester steel buttplate and use a homemade custom trigger guard. The scope base is the same EGW model you used on the RIA 52D.

I sent both triggers to Karl Kenyon for his modifications, and they're excellent triggers - they've spoiled me for anything less in a 52. I don't shoot either of these 52s nearly often enough. My pre-occupation with 40XB & V-22 repeaters - along with re-barreling a couple of CZ457s with Shilen blanks - has consumed nearly all my spare shooting time over the past several years. I need to get these 52s out and take them to the range - maybe make them feel appreciated again...lol

Attachments

• DSC_0371.JPG
      DSC_0371.JPG
      525.9 KB · Views: 168
    Nice write-up and pics. The old Win 52 and 75s, along with the Rem 37s, 54xs and 51x really trip my trigger (no pun intended). I find it hard to walk past any of them w/o at fondling them, which mosre often than not leads to purchase. :p
    Thanks, you should get some photos of yours up. (y)

@ flatland one, that's very very nice. I have a few questions. 1. Does Karl Kenyon still work? 2. Is that a Weaver scope? 3. Have you been satisfied with the Shilen barrels?

KOD - Karl passed away several years ago. I kept a handwritten note from Karl after he'd returned the 2nd trigger - would have really enjoyed meeting him in person...

Yep, it's an old V16 I've had for years, and was the only scope I had that wasn't mounted on something else at the time. That was probably 10 or more years ago, and I've never really felt the need to replace it.

I think there's additional accuracy potential in both these bbls - just need the time to get both the American & MTR bedded to find out if that helps their consistency as much as I expect. The last time I asked Mike Bush for his opinion of the ratchet rifled Shilens, he told me he'd soon be trying a few of them on several V-22 actions. Haven't heard anything out of him yet, but am looking forward to hearing his results. I have shot several very respectable groups at 210yds with the straight .850" bbl on the MTR, but haven't tried the American at anything farther than 100yds yet. I finished these two bbls just before getting busy with spring farm work, and as strung-out as that was due to rains, spring work morphed right on into summer work, and I've been too busy to get in much shooting with any of my rifles since.

I've personally fitted & chambered Benchmark, Krieger, & Lilja bbls on my Stiller 2500XR, 40X & XB & V-22s repeaters - four of them Kriegers - and have sampled Bartlein & ACE bbls on a couple of V-22 bbl'd actions. All these bbls have performed very well; all four of the Kriegers being uniformly excellent. The single ACE bbl I have is an 18" Ranch contour, the lightest that VGW supplies. While its light weight (relative to the sendero & Kukri contours of most of the other bbls) made it a little harder to hold steady at the shot break while shooting off the bench, it performed very well. I'd have no reservations about using a heavier ACE on any of my rifles. Hope to have more feedback to report on the Shilens later this summer....just don't hold your breath waiting.

Great report!
    I have a 52D Heavy Target I purchased Mint a-few years ago awating an EGW rail and have a Weaver T36 I plan on using.
    I grew up shooting these rfiles in match competition in High School with iron sights.
    I sold my previous 52D Target foolishly many years ago and searched for a decade to find one unmolested.
    The trigger on the 52D’s is one of the world’s great triggers.
    I shoot a Rem Custom Shop 547 Target these days and although an accurate and attractive rifle, the trigger is certainly not great plus it’s mag fed and you simply cannot feed one at a time manually as I am accustomed to doing.
    -Richard

KOD - Karl passed away several years ago. I kept a handwritten note from Karl after he'd returned the 2nd trigger - would have really enjoyed meeting him in person...

Yep, it's an old V16 I've had for years, and was the only scope I had that wasn't mounted on something else at the time. That was probably 10 or more years ago, and I've never really felt the need to replace it.

I think there's additional accuracy potential in both these bbls - just need the time to get both the American & MTR bedded to find out if that helps their consistency as much as I expect. The last time I asked Mike Bush for his opinion of the ratchet rifled Shilens, he told me he'd soon be trying a few of them on several V-22 actions. Haven't heard anything out of him yet, but am looking forward to hearing his results. I have shot several very respectable groups at 210yds with the straight .850" bbl on the MTR, but haven't tried the American at anything farther than 100yds yet. I finished these two bbls just before getting busy with spring farm work, and as strung-out as that was due to rains, spring work morphed right on into summer work, and I've been too busy to get in much shooting with any of my rifles since.

I've personally fitted & chambered Benchmark, Krieger, & Lilja bbls on my Stiller 2500XR, 40X & XB & V-22s repeaters - four of them Kriegers - and have sampled Bartlein & ACE bbls on a couple of V-22 bbl'd actions. All these bbls have performed very well; all four of the Kriegers being uniformly excellent. The single ACE bbl I have is an 18" Ranch contour, the lightest that VGW supplies. While its light weight (relative to the sendero & Kukri contours of most of the other bbls) made it a little harder to hold steady at the shot break while shooting off the bench, it performed very well. I'd have no reservations about using a heavier ACE on any of my rifles. Hope to have more feedback to report on the Shilens later this summer....just don't hold your breath waiting.
    You must have a very nice setup and be very talented to do your own work. I look forward to hearing about your results.

Great report!
    I have a 52D Heavy Target I purchased Mint a-few years ago awating an EGW rail and have a Weaver T36 I plan on using.
    I grew up shooting these rfiles in match competition in High School with iron sights.
    I sold my previous 52D Target foolishly many years ago and searched for a decade to find one unmolested.
    The trigger on the 52D’s is one of the world’s great triggers.

I shoot a Rem Custom Shop 547 Target these days and although an accurate and attractive rifle, the trigger is certainly not great plus it’s mag fed and you simply cannot feed one at a time manually as I am accustomed to doing.
    -Richard
    Lots of good information and experience in this reply.

You must have a very nice setup and be very talented to do your own work. I look forward to hearing about your results.

KOD - I have an attached 3-car garage that's kind of cramped, with three lathes, a vertical mill, and a HAAS TM-1, plus various grinders, tool carts, etc. While it's very convenient to be able to walk through the house out into the garage/shop, it'd sure be nice to have more room. I've got a blasting cabinet out in an old unheated shop, which is where I do all the CeraKote work. I'm fortunate to have what I've got, but would really like to build myself a new shop, with room to put the grinders & blasting cabinet far away from the machine tools. More space would allow me to do more wood work, and provide space to build a paint booth with ventilation. I was on the verge of doing this, but our little rural county has raised property taxes to a prohibitive level; to the point where, if I could afford to build the shop of my dreams, I wouldn't be able to afford to pay the property tax on it.

I started building CF rifles in 2005, but didn't do the first .22RF until I built a Stiller 2500XR repeater in early 2016. Have always had a 'thing' for .22RF rifles, pistols, revolvers, and dedicated AR uppers - and it seems to be getting harder to resist the temptation to keep building them as time goes on...

Reactions: camocorvette
    KOD

Nice range report.

I’ve got a bolt coming for a 52c that hasn’t been shot in who knows how long and I Hope it shoots like yours.

From what I have read the 52s were some of the most accurate rimfires made in the US out there for a lot years.

@ flatland1, a while back I looked for a Stiller 2500 action but couldn't find one. What is your most accurate 22 rimfire? I know that's a vague question but I thought you might have a favorite.

@ Frankr, thanks and hopefully your 52C will be every bit as accurate as mine. Give us a report when you get it up and going.

I'm with everyone else when it comes to your 52D. It's spectacular, an absolute time machine. I have read some interesting things regarding 52D triggers. One report was that early 52Ds had the three pound micro-motion trigger but that later production had a modified trigger that could be adjusted down to the low ounces. Another said that KK triggers were offered as an option by Winchester for the 52Ds. A third said that KK stopped building the 52B and 52C triggers because his modified micro-motions were equal to his whole trigger assembly. Lastly was a statement that KK did not offer a trigger mod. for the 52D but only a full trigger assembly. I would be interested if anyone can validate any of this. KOD, what is the pull weight on your 52D and have you tried adjusting it? I'm not sure I understand how you evaluate a rifles performance. Does seven of ten mean that seven of the groups are a half inch or less?

I believe the micro-motion trigger was originally designed as a 3#+/- trigger. NRA rules for .22 equipment specify for "The Rifle" that the trigger is required to lift a three pound weight without breaking. A subsequent rule "Any Rifle" does not have the three pound rule.

KOD, if you do a google search for micro motion trigger mods. you will get a list of responses from Rimfire Central that include one guy that will take them down to four ounces and another that will reduce the pull to one and one half pounds.

Quarter Horse,

You are correct on how I evaluate the rifles performance. The goal is 10 for 10, it's harder than it looks. Sometimes I adjust the scope to hit at center. I'm only shooting 5 rounds at each ring, the outside of the ring is .5" so I never really lose my aiming point. Another thing I do but don't record or talk about it is how consistent the shots hit from one ring to another. This only works or creditable if you don't adjust the scope.

As far as my trigger goes I have not touched it or anything else on the rifle. The rifle came with the bolt out, I inspected the barrel with my borescope, ran a wet patch then dry patch just to make sure I was working with a clean barrel. Lubed the bolt, cussed for 15 minutes trying to get it in, mounted the scope and went to shoot. My trigger average pull weight with 5 pulls is 1 lb 2.2 oz according to my Lyman digital scale. I believe the high was 1 lb 3.1 oz and the low was 1 lb 1.9 oz, the rest was right around 1 lb 2.0 oz. The high pull was probably because I had the scale at a different angle when pulling.

I would like to have half pound trigger but for now I'm satisfied with what I have. Besides, I'll probably never remove the barrel action from the stock because I can see black bedding material between the rear of the action and stock. I just don't want to disturb that. Thanks for the google suggestion though, much appreciated and I'll still take a look.

I have a Winchester catalog from 1970 that shows the 52E (International) listed for $350, $385 w/Kenyon trigger - no mention of trigger break ranges given. The 52D is shown right below the 52E, with std or hvy wt bbl, for $167.95. The factory trigger is claimed to be adjustable down to 1lb. They also list std or hvy wt bbl'd actions for $130.50. I'd been out of high school for one year at this point in time - wonder why I didn't save up and purchase one of each - D & E model? When it comes to which triggers were offered by the factory on the 52s, it makes more sense to me that they'd prefer to sell the complete Kenyon trigger as opposed to sending new factory triggers to him to be modified. IIRC, I paid Karl $90 for each of his trigger jobs, and the note that he sent with the 2nd one says he had it adjusted to 4oz.
    ETA - I dug the paperwork for the last trigger job from Karl Kenyon out, and found that I sent him a check for $135 to cover the work & return shipping. It was most certainly worth it, as both the triggers on my CMP D models are a joy to shoot.

Last edited:
    I have a couple 52 D's, a E and a Miroku repop, all the repop's I've seen have a little bedding at the front of the action from the factory. The repop's take some work to make shoot well but once figured out they will shoot very well. I don't have the right combination for my Browning figured out, my buddy has a Winchester though that is a real shooter.

The D's and E are much easier to shoot simply by design. I shot this off a rest and bag with aperture sights, 5 shots at 50 yards with a D.
    IMG_3347.JPG

Reactions: spartan67
    BTW, The E has a much improved feed ramp over the D. There is a gentleman in MO that makes and sells them. For less than $50 it's a nice improvement for a D rifle. He can be found on the Winchester 52 forums on Rimfire Central or PM me and I'll get you his e-mail address if anyone is interested.

That's really good with an eyeball. Might have to start calling you dead eye dart.

What are the other differences between the D and E models?

LOL!

The E (most of them) have a recessed crown and the Marksman stock doesn't have the barrel tuning mechanism in the end of the forarm that the D has. Also the E receivers are drilled and tapped for scope basses and don't have the flat milled on the rear. I'm not sure if all E' s have a flat milled on the bottom of the receiver for a recoil lug that was used on some E models. From what I've read there are late D's with E characteristics and early E's with D characteristics because at the end of one model run all parts were used up during the change over. Technically there were no E models as Winchester listed them as D's.

Got the ole 52D out again a few days ago, thought I would see how it shot with some different ammo.

RWS R50sc and Fed GM Ultra Match shot pretty good. Surprisingly RWS Semi-Auto shot really good. I started that target out with Center-X but the first 15 shot were bad so I switched to what I had in the bag and that was RWS Semi Auto. Those 3 groups with Center X just goes to show high dollar ammo + high dollar rifle don't always equal accuracy.

Win 52D Fed GM Ultra Match 10-6-19.jpg
    Win 52D RWS R50sc 10-6-19.jpg
    Win 52D RWS Semi Auto 10-6-19.jpg

Good shooting. I need to pay my 52’s some attention but have been busy with the T1X and the Miroku 52. Also I’ve finally worked out a good accurate load for my Shaw barreled Savage mdl 16 in 260 Remington.

Now that the weather is cooling off it’s time to start shooting air rifles indoors.

After shooting a friends 52b, I always wanted one. Then one day I was surfing the net, I ended up on an auction site with a 52d
    that got my attention. After a small bidding war I ended up with it, and crossed my fingers.
    I had to re- mount the Unertl, and took it out to sight in. Impressed to say the least. I was using some Eley match ammo, and after
    Getting used to the trigger, it was shooting sub 1/4”. With the best @.14 five shots@ 50yards.
    The rifle come with the Unertl, also Olympic sights with adjustable iris. The barrel, marked match grade, by Bill Atkinson, Kenyon
    trigger, and the stock accessories by Al Freeland. I joke with my friends that it’s the most accurate rifle ever made, haven’t had
    any disagreements.

Made me smile when I read that. I believe Winchester knew what they were doing with that 52D chamber. To bad the bean counters got their measly hands in the cookie jar.

Resurrecting this old thread to show KOD a 52D I bought last spring. This rifle was a CMP 52D that had the trigger modification (similar to what Karl Kenyon did), and was then bedded into a Doan Trevor custom prone stock very similar to the Robertson H&H prone stocks I have on my Palma rifle and a couple of other LR prone HP rifles. This stock was done on a nice Claro walnut blank, with stippling on the PG. The stock has a shortened butt, as the owner asked Doan to modify it to allow him to use Anschutz buttplate accessories, which weren't included in the sale of the rifle to me. So I've got a Tubb 4-way buttplate on it for now, to allow me to shoot it in prone, even though the LOP still isn't quite long enough to suit me. Not sure what I'll do on a permanent basis to make up for the shortened butt, but the rifle simply shoots too well to give up on it. It didn't care for any of the select lots of SK or Lapua ammo I have, so I tried some left-overs of Eley Match & Match EPS from lot testing in an Anschutz 2011, and several of those lots shot really decently on the NRA 50yd smallbore target. Am looking forward to getting several more lots of Eley Match to test in this rifle, as well as removing the Weaver T-24 & Ken Viani base, putting it back on another CMP 52D I've owned since 2005, and replacing it with a very nice 16x Unertl I just bought.

Attachments

• DSC_0341.JPG
      DSC_0341.JPG
      790 KB · Views: 251
    • DSC_0342.JPG
      DSC_0342.JPG
      321.7 KB · Views: 129
    Dennis,

That 52D looks great. I looked at the photos first and was going to ask about the scope rail until I got to the last sentence. I'll have to look up Ken Viani base. Is the accuracy shown typical with the select ammo? How would you compare your 52D with the Anschutz 2011?

The Viani rail came into being about the same time the CMP 52 C&Ds came onto the market; whether coincidence or not, it's a great concept. It screws into the Posa scope base holes, and the rear of it is supported by an aluminum plate that is similar to a Redfield iron sight base. Mr. Viani no longer makes this base, but there's another guy making something very similar that I've emailed about getting one - think he's asking $195 IIRC. I'll review my emails to see if I can find his name & contact info.

The group in the photo I posted was shot from prone with coat, sling, and mitt. I never got a group like that with the 2011 - one reason I sold it right after buying this 52D. 1badDart's comment on the 52E's feed tray reminded me that my 'new' old 52D in the prone stock also has a version of the E model's feed tray, and it does indeed make getting a round aligned for smooth feeding a lot easier. I have no idea whether it's a Winchester part or a custom part.

Last edited:
    I just got my B solidly running today after 8 years of owning it. A local machinist made me swivel stud that works for the factory rail. Pretty stoked to not have to shoot it off a pack anymore. Adjusted the Canjaar trigger a tad. This was its first serious outing to try and find ammo it truly likes.
    20211007_180249.jpg

Speaking of scope rails....my machinist was laughing at my EGW picatinny rail with just the one set of screws on the barrel. This machinist made me a bipod stud from scratch in under 24hrs for the oddball forend rail holes. The thread spec was .288x30tpi with a 1/2" worth of the threads. Out of shear luck it timed perfectly with no spacers needed.
    20211007_180107.jpg

20211007_183134.jpg

20211007_183026.jpg

Last few outings I fed it what I had left of my NRL22 ammo stash of SK Red box. It shot better than shown above but was horrible at 100yds (2-3 inches).

I swapped over to some Eley Target and was surprised it did pretty damn good. Most of the time I hear negative reviews of this stuff.
    20211007_185831.jpg

This was the last 6 rounds fired as light was waning at 100yds. First shot way low. Then the rest seemed to do better. There was a mild breeze out in the middle of the bermed range.

So a good day today for sure. Hope to this thing only improves. Won't be a barricade beater but it will definitely give the local pest population reason to worry.

DFOOSKING - I have no idea how similar the chambers on 52B & 52D models are, but I know that the custom barrels I've fitted & chambered on several rifles - including Stiller 2500XR, 40X & XB, RimX, and a couple of V-22s - all chambered with a PTG EPS reamer, have shot very well with lot tested SK Std+, SK Rifle Match, SK LR Match, and Lapua Center-X. But none of that ammo shot worth a hoot in the 52D with the custom prone stock. But the very first lot of Eley Match I tried in it showed huge improvement in group size when shoot on rests off a portable bench. All the SK & Lapua ammo had groups with large amounts of vertical stringing, while Eley printed nice rounded groups. I've got a JGS 52D Match reamer that I want to try in a Green Mountain bbl when I get it back from being contoured by Keystone Accuracy, and will compare Eley Match to Lapua Center-X in that bbl on a RimX action.