• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Winchester 6.5 Creedmoor 140Gr SMK

Sgposin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2013
Damascus, MD
Just picked up a couple boxes of this stuff. Anyone had any experience with it? Couldn't find anything with the Google engine.

Best thing about that is Winchester 6.5 Creed brass instead of the super sof/shitty Hornady stuff.

Last edited:
I hope winchester puts some 6.5 Creedmoor brass out. This is a good sign that it's possible.

You guys that bought the factory ammo, PM me when it's used up I'll pay top dollar for once fired Winchester brass for the 6.5CM

The folks on 65Creedmoor.com are speculating the "Win" brass is really Hornady, as it looks and weighs the exact same.

Also, it reportedly uses 140 SMK but the listed BC is 0.580...the same as the Hornady 140 HPBT?

The folks on 65Creedmoor.com are speculating the "Win" brass is really Hornady, as it looks and weighs the exact same.

Also, it reportedly uses 140 SMK but the listed BC is 0.580...the same as the Hornady 140 HPBT?

Yeah that Winchester headstamp is magic and makes the brass better than that "super sof/shitty Hornady stuff" LOL

And it also magically bumps the BC of the 140 SMK from the Sierra advertised .535 to .580 just like the Hornady 140 BTHP. ;)

Got to laugh huh?

Not sure if they are the same componets but for me, the Win shoots tighter and the velocity is much more consistent vs. Hornady.

i have 80 rnds at home i just got in...gunna shoot it today and see how it does...i know on my box it says '140 bthp' so i assumed they were hornady projectiles, not SMKs...idk for sure tho?

also it uses a different powder than my factory 140 amax loads...the powder is a shorter cut and darker...the amax loads i pulled down looked like H4350 and had 43.1 gr avg...the Win had 44 gr

Last edited:
Any update on this? Just ordered a 6.5 CM bbl for my AI. Nice to have more options out there.

Shot 5 rnds @ 100 yds of this last weekend and from my dpms lr65 and it was just under 1" outside to outside and pretty much identical zero...I didn't chrono it, guessed velocity at 2740, using BC for Hornady 140 bthp, and took it straight to 400 yds on a 6" steel and put 3-5 rnds on the steel in a row (no misses at that range) went to 600 yds on a 8" diamond and I was a tad high, missed at 1:30...adjusted and hit it a couple times...jumped to 1000 and was able to hit a 10" diamond 1 out of 3...misses were at 2 o clock Right over the corner of the diamond...adjusted my velocity to 2755 in my ballistic app...had 2 rnds left and shot them at a 14" steel square...first one missed about .1 mil left @ 9 o clock, next one i held right edge of steel and hit it dead center, steel swung straight back...winds were pretty gusty but the ammo seemed very consistent in elevation at all ranges...I really liked not having to change my zero...I did note that these rounds were fairl hot from my semi auto, all primers were a tad flat and had some cratering, seemed a bit hotter than 140 amax match but nothing unsafe...I'm in south tx and it was 100+ Heat index...I still have a few boxes left but initial results seem pretty good