• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 7.62 Brass any Good/ Fiocci too?

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
Found some Winchester 7.62 147gr for $10 per 20 and before I drop the coin, is the brass any good for reloading? I figure its thicker NATO brass and not a true 308? Looks like its annealed? I have 10 boxes on hold but I could get a lot more.

Also found some Fiocci, poor spelling but its their own brass, worth picking it up for reloading for $20.

I sold off my Fed brass last week and want to get it replaced.

Thanks guys.

Re: Winchester 7.62 Brass any Good/ Fiocci too?

My experience with Win brass in general is that it's good stuff, I haven't tried the 308 or 7.62 NATO stuff, just 30-06, 223, 22-250, etc.

I have a case of FIOCCI 223 brass, the ammo shot like crap (2" 100y groups compared to 3/4" from the same bullet with reloads)

The reloaded brass shoots great though, I've started using it exclusively for my 6mm-223 so that I have a dedicated headstamp to the wildcat.

Winchester is good brass, should get multiple reloads out of it.

I use Win .243 or 7-08 to form .260 Rem cases, works fine.

Like a gun shop commando, I pulled it out and compared it with Winchester SuperX that is all bright and shiny, the 7.62 is dark and annealed that can be a good thing. I wonder how thick the brass is compared to USA 308Win brass, one way to find out!

Thanks

It would not surprise me if the NATO spec called for a dull finish. I have had NATO spec M80 ball in my hands lately from no less than 6 different makers over 4 decades of mfr and none of it has the sheen of factory consumer fodder.

That makes sense to me because the dull coloring was so pronounce almost the whole length of the brass, not just around the neck and it is so cheap, $10 for loaded 7.62 per 20. If it makes brass bones and is harder Winchester brass I will be happy.

Thanks all

That would seem to be a decent price for the ammo as long as its newer production. I've played with a lot of the military and commercial Winchester brass, and its been my experience that the commercial is considerably more uniform (weight, run-out, etc.) than the military stuff from Winchester 7.62 147gr. You may want to chose which is more important to you, quality of the brass for reloading or plinking/stockable ammo. Winchester brass in 308 is available now at several places. I just bought a bunch from Cabelas online. Its supposed to be one of the most durable for reloading.Plus, with the commercial you don't need to get rid if the primer crimp!

I did a quick look at what i had, weighed and spun about 10 of each:

Commercial Winchester
weight: 156.5-158.0 gn
neck runout: .0015-.004

Nato 7.62 from Win M80 Q3130(?)
weight: 178.0-181.3
neck runout: .002-.0055