• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 70 blind magazine, 1 piece or 2 piece floor plate

Mongoose67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado
I purchased a very gently used Winchester 70 in 7mm Rem Mag. It came with a cheap synthetic stock with a blank magazine. I want to replace it with a Bell and Carlson stock. The blind magazine stock has three screws, two from the trigger guard and one from the stock into the receiver. Are all M70's equipped with three screw lugs in the receiver and action? Can I safely go to 2 screws in a one piece floor plate? Thanks!

The middle one is really not needed. If it is needed to hold your trigger guard or bottom metal in place, make sure not to put much torque on it.

👆 this.

I torque my Model 70’s between 50 and 65 in-lbs. Depends on fastener drive type, stock material, action bedding, etc.

Note - the middle screw if used with the 2 pc bottom metal just barely gets snugged so it doesn’t fall out.

Reactions: stello1001
Thanks! Any suggestions on a mid grade stock. I was thinking B&C or the Hogue full bedding block. Everyone rags on them, but I'd love to hear from someone that has owned either.

I couldn’t bring myself to put a Hogue on a 70.

The B&C is a decent piece, little thick in the wrist and a bit slippery feeling compared to some. I do like the comb height for a typical hunting stock. My Extreme Weather came with one, it’s since been replaced with a McMillan Hunters Edge which is a definite improvement but much more cost.

Be aware there is a difference between the 1 and 2 piece bottom metal when it comes to the inletting, the stock and bottom metal need to match. There is a spacer set up available that allows 2 piece bottom metal to work in a 1 piece stock but can’t go the other way.

The HS is a decent option without getting into Manners/McMillan territory. If you go hogue, make sure its the one with the aluminum bedding block.

Also, a beautiful stock option is the pro varmint in walnut or grey laminate.

Although i believe these do not include pillars. You will have to do a bedding job with or without the pillars to get a proper mate.