• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester 70 ejec tion problem

boltgunner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2008
York, PA, USA
I purchased a Winchester Mod. 70 push feed HV in 223. I'm having a problem with ejection of empty cases. The problem is not the ejector but the extractor. The cases are not held in the extractor long enough to clear the receiver walls to eject' they simply fall into the magazine. Using a dummy case with a bullet seated, the case will eject with no problem. I have had several of these guns and have had no previous problems. Other people tell me this is a problem with this gun and they have not been able to correct this issue. My bolt has the later ejector(approximately .25" dia.) Has anyone else had this problem, and have you been able to come up with a solution.

Re: Winchester 70 ejec tion problem

Sounds like your cases are minimum dimension and your bolt face opening & extractor are maximum. Have you tried different brand of cases? Also push feed guns generally work better with a snappy bolt stroke. Worst case, you'll have to get a gunsmith to fit an extractor that will be a snug fit on the case rim.

I have tried Winchester, Lapua and military cases with same result. You may be correct that bolt face is over size. Yes the ejector is 1/4" in diameter. earlier ejectors were smaller.

I'm not able to post pictures but I will have someone who can, post them to you, or post on this site.

Here is a picture of the bolt for Boltgunner

223boltface.jpg

This is just a guess, so please feel free to tell me I am full of shit.....
wink.gif

The "height" of the bolt lug is close to the diameter of the bolt face.

The ejector pushes the case all the way forward as the extractor is trying to push it to side.

The edge of the case on the ejector side goes farther forward than the bolt face, the case partially slides into the action raceway, and the extractor simply runs out of travel...
then the case comes free.....

My Winchester is a 300WM (bigger case can't slide in the raceway)with the smaller ejector, also my extractor to ejector offset is approx 120 degrees instead of 180 degrees in the pic.

This seem reasonable?

Very Interesting! I have a M70 Win. "Carbine Short Action" in 222 Rem. from the early 80's and the ejector only measures .170". I wonder what caused Win. to enlarge the ejector on the push feed rifles? What year is the one that is pictured?

Chpprguy, I think you are correct in your analysis as to what may be causing the problem. I took the gun to Sid Goodling, who is a well known Bench Rest Gunsmith. He thought the same thing that there was too much pressure on case pushing it free of the extractor. I left the gun with him he is going to try to change the pressure, or modify the plunger.

Wow... I am usually full of shit...
grin.gif

Please update us on what he says.. it will be good info for the future,
hope it's a simple and quick fix...
Andy