• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes WInchester 70 receiver-mounting scope

Alamo308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
Texas
I'm new to center-fire scope work, but my Winchester 70 receiver is drilled/tapped with two .860 c-to-c mounting locations. I thought it would be pretty straight-forward to install scope bases; however, it appears the receiver front mount location is approximately .14" higher than the receiver rear mount location.
Winchester_70_generic-receiver_with_pt14-inch_difference.jpg

So ...is the solution to install shims under the rear base?

Re: WInchester 70 receiver-mounting scope

No the solution is to buy the right bases for your M70 rifle. The correct bases for your rifle will compensate for the differences in front to rear height.

Just be sure which M70 receiver you have....

Pre-64 all long actions
Pre-64 300 & 375 H&H Mag

Post-64
Short action
Long action
WSM
WSSM

Bob

Bob, the rifle is a custom Palma which I bought from first owner about five years ago; definitely post-64. The receiver (shown above) serial number is G20706XX, caliber Win .308. I tried searching "Winchester Serial Numbers" to determine which Model 70 this is, but no luck. What are the distinguishing measurements for Long vs Short action?

A push feed long action is about 6 3/8" from the face of the receiver to the bolt handle. Also the ejection port is about 3 1/8" long.

Seeing as you have a controlled feed model, I'm not sure if these dimensions were kept the same or not, but it's probably going to be close.

A factory .308 is a short action.

The indications are the length of the bolt's travel, and, quite obviously, the length of the cartridge in which it was originally chambered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A push feed long action is about 6 3/8" from the face of the receiver to the bolt handle. Also the ejection port is about 3 1/8" long.</div></div>
It's a match: The receiver measures 6 3/8" from the receiver face to the bolt handle, and the ejection port is 3 1/8" long.

So when Brownell's, for example, sells both Talley and Warne scope bases for the post-64 Win 70, in pairs, there will be one rear base and one front base, with the correct respective heights?

Correct.

However, on that receiver I measured, I'm using a Nightforce one piece base, and I did have to shim it for the proper rear bridge height. Strangely, it used the exact same size shim it took to correct a short action 700 base I installed on a pre-64 model 70 (3 of the holes lined up, but the recoil lug didn't).

Whichever base you end up going with, even if it's a one piece, make sure your rings are in alignment before torquing the scope in. You may have to shim or bed the rear.

Ordered, received, installed the Warne bases. Perfect fit, perfectly aligned.
cool.gif

Amazingly, the scope (Weaver T-24x40) immediately bore-sighted dead-on at 50 yards. Hope to get it to the range this coming weekend, run a box text, and try it at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Fingers crossed for good weather (raining now).