• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 75

camocorvette

Send it
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    I recently acquired this winchester 75 made in 1948.
    20230529_153605.jpg

It's rough, but it's on my list. After a barrel band screw, sling screw, barrel block screws and trigger guard screw its complete.

The Redfield sights are nice but the rear just spins. Will adjust up or down from 35-40 and then just spin.

I'd like to put a barrel mounted optic on it. I've looked and the prices go from 400- 5000 for period correct.

What do you experienced people think would be a good choice. I just want to shoot it. It will be a shooter. If I could actually dial an old scope enough to shoot in a nrl/prs match that would be awesome and I would use it. But I don't think that's possible.

Or do I just find a EGW or similar scope mount and put a modern scope on it?

Budget is 700-800 for period correct'ish scopes. I've got modern scopes I can use and the egw rail just looks sold out, but I'm sure there are other options.

20230529_153654.jpg
    20230529_153657.jpg
    20230529_153716.jpg

My plan is to clean it up, rust blue it, keep it oiled and shoot it.

Pm me. I have a lot of options to scope that rifle with vintage glass that I’d not priced like that. Not sure about rings but we can figure that out as well.

What insert, post or circular is in the front sight?
    With a post, find a Redfield Model 75 rear off eBay that works, refinish the gun and use as is for hunting.
    For Bullseye competition, you want a front circular insert.
    Be aware that the Redfield front and rear for the 75 are a smaller size that the Olympic or International.
    Shaver sells the correct insert size you need in a die cut card that has multiple sizes available.
    Good product!!
    -Richard

Thanks for all the messages and knowledge. I've decided for now to aquire scope blocks for the barrel just to have. Then ordering a EGW base from gunbroker to put a modern scope on it. For now I think that will be great until I save up to buy a period correct scope.

Also some more negatives about the rifle. I went to shoot it the other day. Could not get a round to chamber.
    20230604_174348.jpg

Checked the chamber and was greeted with this dimple from some one dry firing on an empty chamber I assume. I know some guns it's forbidden because you will do exactly this. It's got a divot of metal displaced into the chamber from the firing pin.
    20230604_173521.jpg
    20230604_173540.jpg

Maybe what I did next was wrong. But I took a small round chainsaw file and just barely scuffed only the displaced metal. It cleaned it up. I was able to chamber a round.
    First attempt at firing it did not go off. Re-cocked it and it went off. I could not extract the case. Grabbed a cleaning rod and tapped it out. The case is forming to the metal that is still goobered up in the chamber.
    20230604_175717.jpg

So I am definitely disappointed. I didn't dry fire the rifle and it wasn't disclosed. Nor did I notice it in pictures when I purchased it off gunbroker.

Talked to the gunsmith that does all the work for me. He said he's fixed this before. He has to swage the chamber. So off to him it goes.

Well that's where I'm at with it so far.

Thanks for all the messages and knowledge. I've decided for now to aquire scope blocks for the barrel just to have. Then ordering a EGW base from gunbroker to put a modern scope on it. For now I think that will be great until I save up to buy a period correct scope.

Also some more negatives about the rifle. I went to shoot it the other day. Could not get a round to chamber.
    View attachment 8160680
    Checked the chamber and was greeted with this dimple from some one dry firing on an empty chamber I assume. I know some guns it's forbidden because you will do exactly this. It's got a divot of metal displaced into the chamber from the firing pin.
    View attachment 8160203View attachment 8160204

Maybe what I did next was wrong. But I took a small round chainsaw file and just barely scuffed only the displaced metal. It cleaned it up. I was able to chamber a round.
    First attempt at firing it did not go off. Re-cocked it and it went off. I could not extract the case. Grabbed a cleaning rod and tapped it out. The case is forming to the metal that is still goobered up in the chamber.
    View attachment 8160684

So I am definitely disappointed. I didn't dry fire the rifle and it wasn't disclosed. Nor did I notice it in pictures when I purchased it off gunbroker.

Talked to the gunsmith that does all the work for me. He said he's fixed this before. He has to swage the chamber. So off to him it goes.

Well that's where I'm at with it so far.
    That’s a shame. I’ve heard that it can be fixed via swaging or using a chamber iron such that it’ll be fine to shoot.

I just picked a visually pretty rough 52B just because I’ve hardly ever even seen one around here and I wanted to try it. Mechanically it’s fine so I mounted a 6-24 B&L using an EGW 0 MOA base and it works very well. I only shot at 25 yards because the whole rig was new to me + windy but the old rifle shows promise.

The EGW aluminum base doesn’t allow for a lot of movement back depending on scope but is otherwise very nice, and I think $35 on Amazon.
    E60EDBD4-99B0-465E-A7F0-1D4E58DD4B0F.jpeg
    80A11974-8BDC-4FA2-A2EA-77340A3C90D0.jpeg

These are a few pics of my model 75, not good pics, but they were on my computer. It is a 1936 model, low serial number. If I remember correctly they were first made in 1935, and not that many the first year. It has an original Malcolm & Sons 3X scope, the trigger is very light and it shoots to beat all hell!

It sucks big time about yours being damaged like it is, that is a shame. I agree with your decision to put a modern scope on it. If you want to collect and look at it, pay out the ass and get an original scope. If you want to shoot it, and really see what it is capable of, get a decent scope!! The Malcolm and Sons 3X wire crosshair scope, .750 diameter , does not qualify as such. Maybe in 1936 it did, but not today. I can shoot nice groups with it, but it isn't easy! I had to send a lot of e mails to guys who know these things and were nice enough to respond to be able to make the scope even usable! They did also have a 6X scope on some rifles, that may be interesting??????

You have a great rifle, put it through the paces and enjoy the shit out of it!

Attachments

• IMG_1406.JPG
      IMG_1406.JPG
      309.8 KB · Views: 32
    • IMG_1408.JPG
      IMG_1408.JPG
      349.4 KB · Views: 51
    @sjmpcc022 that looks gorgeous. I need a leather sling for mine. Was the Malcolm scope something that you could buy as a package deal back then? Or just another aftermarket scope?

Reactions: sjmpcc022
    @sjmpcc022 that looks gorgeous. I need a leather sling for mine. Was the Malcolm scope something that you could buy as a package deal back then? Or just another aftermarket scope?
    I'm really not sure? From the research I did years ago I was under the impression that it was standard on some of them, that may be absolutley not true also??? The story is my mom's uncle gave it to my dad, for helping him out with some things when he and my great aunt moved. He was old as dirt when I was a kid, so he may very well have bought it new, will never know that one. At least I'm not going to do the research to find out!;)

It was always in the house when I was an older kid, I shot it a little bit. There was also an old Winchester pump action .22 on the wall in the dining room, kind of looks like a model 12. I shot the shit out of that gun, it's still hanging there, still could! When my dad built his new shop, the model 75 hung on the wall in there. I took it down one day after he passed away, looked it up and said, "Holy Shit!" I had no clue what it was before I did a bit of research, in decent condition looks like 1500ish or so! I started digging, got the scope so you could see through it and started shooting it. Damn does it shoot!

Truth be told, that rifle is what got me started on the road to my B 14R and shooting PRS/NRL with a .22. That old Winchester is fun, but it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. It's back at my mom's house where it started, at least for me.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Another option to take care of the chamber ( if you can find a suitably skilled gunsmith to do it and not take 5 years!) is to shorten the barrel from the rear and rechamber.

@sjmpcc022 that's awesome. Glad that old gun got you into it more. Hey throw some oil on them and just let them hang up for show.

@MajorD I hope it doesn't come to that, but that is an option.

@Charger442 that's what my gunsmith is talking about. I haven't dropped it off yet. But he said it's pretty simple to do. After hornady prc match I'll drop it off. I've got like 3 guns for him to work on.

@Charger442 that's what my gunsmith is talking about. I haven't dropped it off yet. But he said it's pretty simple to do. After hornady prc match I'll drop it off. I've got like 3 guns for him to work on.

hell i even have that one ill send you if i can go put my hands on it, and if you are interested.

re the scopes, somewhere on the net is a list of what gun used which blocks,
    you want to make sure they are the correct height and profile,

if you want period scope, you can search for Unertl or Lyman, but those tend to go for crazy money,

some of the lesser known makers, Litschert, Davis (took over after Litschert passed) and Fecker will sometimes slip thru for less money,

all are good quality scopes,

ebay is a good source, as is Rimfire Central and this guy

keep in mind anything below 10x will be higher (sniper clone guys tend to buy them or bid them up) and 20x or more brings a premium,

I have 2 75's, one is a US trainer (marked) with a Lyman A5 and the other is a later Commercial model, that is set up to shoot irons (redfields front and back) or scoped (I have a variety of older scopes to go on it and a few other old school 22's)

great shooters, triggers are not quite as good as a 52, but good enough,

That's awesome too know. Thanks for that. Thanks for the link too. I'm a ways out from getting a scope for it now. Gotta get it functioning and go from there.