• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester 94 loading issue

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
I realize this is not exactly the forum's forte, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable guys running around here also.

I have a Winchester 94 that I just redid the wood on. All I did was take out the mag tube and set it aside. Decided to put the wood back on today and do a quick function check. The issue I'm encountering is that once I load one or two cartridges, the last cartridge gets pushed back behind the feed door (not sure what it's called). This completely prevents additional loading until I chamber a round and. Sometimes I have to unload whatever rounds I have in the tube.

I've made sure that I have the follower turned the right way and that the spring is filling the tube completely, but I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

I haven't done anything with the receiver, but I also never did a function check when I bought it so this may have been an issue before.

3c6bfa4037e8d5752f2fcdeef50d1b26_zpse3eeeab4.jpg

Can't tell from photo, but there are two rounds loaded and the last one is preventing the latch from moving inward to load any more rounds.

loading gate, that's what it's called.

Anyways, the issue isn't really an issue so much as it's a quirk. In a perfect world, this wouldn't happen, but it seems most just alter their loading technique (leaving the rim of the previous case sticking out of the loading gate until you load the next round). There's also a fix where I can take a file to an internal piece, but it's too much of a headache to worry about.

1st check to make sure the loading gate screw is tight. If it is, I suspect the loading gate is for the wrong caliber or there is a machining issue. Filing is not a good idea. Sounds like you need some additional metal on the cartridge stop vein on the back of the gate.

1st check to make sure the loading gate screw is tight. If it is, I suspect the loading gate is for the wrong caliber or there is a machining issue. Filing is not a good idea. Sounds like you need some additional metal on the cartridge stop vein on the back of the gate.

Given the number of forum posts I was able to google on this issue, I think it's a quirk of the design. I'll make sure the loading gate screw is tight when I get back tonight.

It's not a quirk. There are thousands of them out there that work fine. Some are harder to load than others. I generally don't push the round all of the way in to avoid fighting the loading gate resistance until I fill the mag. This method might be your easiest solution.

My initial guess is that you are not pushing the round in quite far enough for the finger lever to engage. A quick tip is to use the next round to push in the first round when it is 1/2 way in. Of course guy's with fat thumbs seem to struggle more with this than those with women's hands.....................YMMV. It is possible that the finger lever is worn and might need to be replaced.

My initial guess is that you are not pushing the round in quite far enough for the finger lever to engage. A quick tip is to use the next round to push in the first round when it is 1/2 way in. Of course guy's with fat thumbs seem to struggle more with this than those with women's hands.....................YMMV. It is possible that the finger lever is worn and might need to be replaced.

Good point on the finger lever. If it goes past the loading gate it is past the finger lever. Bending the lever arm to the rt a little might solve the problem.

"A quick tip is to use the next round to push in the first round when it is 1/2 way in."

That's what I was saying but you worded it better.