• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester brass question

creedman12

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2020
I have acquired a large amount of Winchester WW 7 mm mag brass. Some of it is the nickel colored brass that is used for the ballistic silvertip ammo while some is regular brass colored.

My question is this. Are the two interchangeable for reloading or should I keep them separated?

I currently have a great load developed using nickel coated silvertip brass and was wondering if I could just start using the regular brass interchangeably.

Nickle brass is going to have more grip on the bullet with the same amount of neck tension. Changing from that may throw your load off depending on how forgiving it is. You might have to tweak the charge or coal.

Also weigh the brass to see if there might be an internal capacity difference. Heavier, your pressure will go up.

Otherwise expect the nickel brass to fail at the neck a lot sooner than brass brass.

All of my 7Rem Mag brass is standard, but i have a ton of it in 243 Win, so far I haven’t seen any difference in loading or performance, time will tell .