• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Brass

popeyecop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
Chester, Illinois
Any one have trouble seating federal primers in the primer pockets of Winchester brass? these are once shot brass that I get from a local range. I average about 2 to 3 smashed primers when loading 50 rounds at a time. Im using a Dillon 550b press.

Re: Winchester Brass

Does the brass show signs of being crimped at some point? Are you sure it is once fired? A crimped case without a proper ream or swage would surely lead to this type of problem.

I use Win brass (new) and don't experience this problem whatsoever.

I had some federal factory stuff that jammed the hell out of the gun. Every primer was blown out in the action. The pockets were blown out enough to where you couldnt seat a primer flush. Must of been some really hot loads

If they were mine I might try setting up my RCBS primer pocket swager and trying a few like that. Whether big or tight, it seems to "resize" the primer pockets to a uniform size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPEYECOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">these are once shot brass that I get from a local range.</div></div>Suggestion: They make new brass every day; if you don't know where they've been throw them out and git mo'.

If you want to save money buy new WW brass instead of Lapua, prep them by sizing, trimming, deburring the primer pockets and chamfering the necks; sort and weigh them if you want to, and fire-form them to your chamber.

Then you will have cheap, top-quality cases that you don't have to worry about.

I have found Winchester Brass to be weaker, after 3 reloads I notice the case is wider at the base (primer end) and wont chamber very well in some guns. I don't Use Winchester anymore for that reason.

Popeye,

Could be due to a couple of factors:

1) how clean is the primer pocket?
2) any powder, polishing media or other crap, on your primer ram, causing a slight misalignment, as you try to seat primers? Any little dents on some of your seated primers?
3) Federal primers seem to fit a little more snug than the CCI or Win., in my experience.
4) Check for Primer crimps.

I load on a Dillon 550 as well. When I screw up a primer, or it feels a litle "off" while seating it, it's usually due to one of the above.