• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Clip Slot action dates?

79M1a-texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2005
Denton County, Texas
Moved from the Bolt Action Rifle forum -

Ran across a “Post-War” Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 with a 26” heavy barrel. THe rifle and wood stock are in great condition. Serial number indicates that it was made in 1971. The action is the clip slotted type. What was last year that Winchester made clip slotted long actions?

Re: Winchester Clip Slot action dates?

Not only is that a post war M70, it is a post-64 M70 and should be a push feed. Very few Model 70's were clip-slotted but all of the Model 54's were. Maybe some of the early 70's before they changed the safety lever to the type we know now, but a push feed M70 would have to have been clip slotted by a gunsmith. This was popular for across-the-course rifles.

If it is a factory Match or Super Match, it has a clip slot.

They did not clip slot push feed sporting rifles at the factory, PERIOD, in the M70 line.

I don't know when they discontinued the factory orderable Match and Super Match rifles, but any discussions around clip slotted push feeds are either a) factory Match rifles or b) gunsmith modified after the fact.

The book says WIN quit making the factory clip slotted Match and Super Match rifles mid-year 1971.

I have the same rifle in 308. It appears to have been to the range one time. Had I not got some copper residue out of the barrel, one could honestly rate its condition as new/unfired.

There is a lot of bad info in this thread.
ALL pre war 70's were clip slotted. This would be to 66,350. Even the 22 Hornets etc. Exception would the the 300 and 375 H&H MAGS.
All pre 64 target, national and bull gun configured rifles up to 585485 or so are clip slotted. A few standard and super grade rifles will be clip slotted on special order or just because it happened. Some post 64 target rifles were clip slotted, but I do not know much about them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a lot of bad info in this thread.
</div></div>

Care to elaborate/be more specific? I don't see that what you posted contradicted anything else above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a lot of bad info in this thread.
ALL pre war 70's were clip slotted. This would be to 66,350. Even the 22 Hornets etc. Exception would the the 300 and 375 H&H MAGS.
All pre 64 target, national and bull gun configured rifles up to 585485 or so are clip slotted. A few standard and super grade rifles will be clip slotted on special order or just because it happened. Some post 64 target rifles were clip slotted, but I do not know much about them.
</div></div>

Post'64 target models were clip slotted

Plus allot of gunsmith clip slotted actions to use as target rifles.

Good luck

Jerry