• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester Cooey firing pin

Krazy_jim

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2014
Canada
So its been at least a couple of years since i had sent off this mid 60s .243win Winchester Cooey model 710(if memory serves me that is the model number).

So it was pulled apart by the local gunsmith and cleaned up, as it had been sitting for probably 25 years in poor environment conditions. Luckily the bore was in good shape, and most everything else it seemed.

Before this i had fired the rifle ~40-50 times, but was never was there any problems. At this point now its having issues with igniting all primers. In a box of 20, 5 did not go off. A new box of 20 of a different brand and same thing.

So i had my father take it in to the gunsmith to trouble shoot, as it was the first time since they had refinished it.

With it apart they found out the firing pin is beny and causing this problem. Naturally they dont want to straighten it for the simple fact of it possibly breaking. They are not sure where to find a replacement.

So my question then is, is the winchester model 70 the same firing pin assembly?

Attachments

• IMG-20191017-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20191017-WA0001.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190928_091146.jpg
    20190928_091146.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 97
Give these guys a try:

Look it up via their parts diagrams. They have a very user friendly website.

Another option would be:

They are very helpful also.

Good Luck!