• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester History Buffs - CM Russell engraved model 95

rem300wm

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
southeastern montana
I know a number of members here have interests outside of tactical shooting so I thought I might pose a question. Charlie Russell and Frank Linderman were good friends. Many people know of Russell and admire his western art. Linderman also achieved some noteriety publishing books and magazine articles and later becoming successfully involved in state politics in Montana.

Linderman possessed a model 95 winchester. During one of his visits with Linderman, Russell admired the 95 and asked Linderman's permission to do some free hand engraving on the rifle. Linderman agreed and Russell engraved both sides of the magazine.

Over the last several years I have searched the internet a number of times trying to locate the rifle. I have had no luck. I even telephoned the Cody Museum curator of Winchester arms. He had never heard of the rifle and thus had no knowledge of its whereabouts.

Obviously the rifle is not among those kept at the Cody museum. The last time I was in the Russell museum it wasn't there either. I must admit I never questioned any of the folks that work there but most of them impressed me more as art experts than gun buffs.

Perhaps someone here knows of this rifle's current location?

I realize this post is several years old, but I thought I would answer it anyway. The rifle that you are referring to is in the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City.

• Wow
Reactions: Sean the Nailer