• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Large Rifle and Federal Match 215

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
I see allot of guys using the match 215 but has anyone done a side by side on Winchester vs Federal Match?

Same everything just different primers to see if they grouped better or worse.

I have been dying to try them side by side but can not get my hands on the 215's

I've never done an actual side by side. Some time ago I made a load for a rifle using Blackhills case/Varget(43)/175SMK and WLR(no FGM primers around) It shot 1/2" groups from a 700 SPS and better from 2 AI's, one FN SPR and a tad bigger with a TSR XP(FN) even though it was developed for that one gun. Take that load to 1K and whack a 12x12" all day.

Hope that helps, not sure otherwise

Whe I first got into relaoding I but a couple of boxes of each, I didn't moticed difference in my number or accuracy. So I continue to use Winny because they are cheaper and seem to work better with a wider range of powders. I would say buy a couple of boxes of each as your rifles or one or two of them may prefer one over the other.

I think it would depend on the type of powder the primer is mated to. Side by side in my 308 with 2520 which is a ball powder the winchester and win mag primer gave me smaller and more consistent groups than with the regular not match fed. I do hold the fed primers in high regard so Im not bashin them. I also compared cci and they performed better than the fed, similar to the winchesters.

Last edited:
With my 338LM I had a significant drop in group size when I switched from Fed 215's to CCI 250's. I have never used Win primers, but my point is that it's worth doing some testing with your gun.

in my 308 f t/r i did what you said swapped primers the fed 210m gave tighter groups and lower es than win lg rifle primers now in my muzzle brake 308 it does matter so i feed it the cheap shitbut then it has a different case and bullet.

Run from the Win LR primers. Several of my friends and I've had problems with them splitting across the fold, eating on the bolt face. Try and find some of the TULA (Russian) primers. They have all worked well.