• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Large Rifle Primers

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
Hey guys

I was down at the local store picking up supplies today and unfortunately I could not find any FED210, 210M or CCI BR2 primers. I was a little upset as I know primers can make a little difference.

I ended up getting 2 packets of Winchest LR Primers. These are the brass colored ones and not the silver looking ones (older ones looked like that IIRC).

Anyone have any comments to add to the performance of Win LR Primers vs Fed 210 or CCI BR primers.

The store also had remington primers, however I have never used these besides on factory loads. Any comments to add?

Re: Winchester Large Rifle Primers

I've always used Winchester large and small rifle primers for a variety of calibers. They've worked great for me, no problems at all.

I have no issues with the Winchester Large Rifle Primers, or any of Winchesters Primers, always had good luck with them. The only Tine i use any others is when i can get Winchester primers then i go with CCI first and Federal last.

vman,

My results are usually better with the WLRs than anything else. The older silver colored ones are harder, and less prone to pierce in hotter loads.

HTH,
DocB

I've used Winchester LR primers with good results out of my .308 target rifle, I've also had great success with CCI 200 primers. I did a chrony test with CCI 200 vs CCI BR and found their to be little difference out of my rifle but YMMV.

at the moment I'm using Remington LR primers and my vertical dispersion is minimal on the target. so I'm assuming that they're doing their job nicely (or I've finally got a good load developed, either way).

I use Winchester primers in all my rifles (except CCI #34's in semis) including my TRG 22 and the perform superbly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used Winchester LR primers with good results out of my .308 target rifle... </div></div>

With me, as well.... My best .308 accuracy load was with WLR primers. I'm saving my 210M's for the proverbial rainy day.

I prefer CCI br2 primers but have used the brass colored WLR with good results. I found the data and results interchangable with CCI.

A diminutive Alaskan on another site trashed the primers for not being uniform in size. he was very adament that anyone with a kind word to say about WLR primers was a moron. He was very profane as is his bent. He was banished rather quickly.

I have shot with quite a few people and his was the only bad note in the chorus when it comes to Winchester large rifle primers.

I think they will work for most of us.

Thanks for info guys, much appreciated.

Might go out and purchase some more if thats the case. I have noticed the Win Primers are slightly easier to seat, I take it they are a bees dick smaller in diameter than Fed210M's.

Will work back the load a half a grain and retest.

Thanks guys once again.

I have noticed the same thing with the seating. The WLRs are a tad easier to seat the the federals. I have had excellent results with the WLRs. I have been playing around with the fed match lr and so far i have not been real impressed with them as i have with the wins. the federals are good primers but but so far i think i give the edge to the wins. I have not had any luck with the remington LR i do use the 7 1/2 bench rest in the 223 with excellent results.

I picked up a brick of the WLR primers and have been using them in all my match .308 loads. Work great, no complaints!

Several people have mentioned the federal match primers go in tighter. I was noticing my 3X federal brass was showing an increasing number of enlarged primer holes.

Using the fed match primers seemed to fix that problem in most the cases.

But I never had a blown primer with WLR, just noticed the Lee hand primer took a bit more push to seat the fed where there wasnt any real resistance using WLR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

.....A diminutive Alaskan on another site trashed the primers for not being uniform in size. he was very adamant that anyone with a kind word to say about WLR primers was a moron. He was very profane as is his bent. He was banished rather quickly.
</div></div>

LMAO, Nobody aka Big Stick strikes again. Following the gospel according to Larry is the only path to Paradise. (Alaska).

Woe be to the windowlickers who stray from his holy word.

I just love it......

WLR, all the best, have always used them. Seem to burn between CCI 200 & 250's. Got to believe in Olin as they still load for the military.

I have never noticed a difference in accuracy that I could attribute to my use of the WLR primers. I am pretty committed to them as I have at least 8000 of them!
laugh.gif

Makes it easy to conserve my stock of BR2 and GM210m primers.

Their WSR primers are also quite good too.

I will probably head out next weekend for some load development, and if they perform well I will try and buy up a lot of local stock.

I think that with recent component shortages, folks have learned of necessity that the match component designation is something of a luxury that can be dispensed with in a pinch.

As I have said elsewhere nearby, I have evolved my load developement process to save the match primers for a last-step substitution; to see what, if any, difference they make. Often, none.

If you mic primer diameters, there is a difference, and Feds are larger.

WLR primers do very well for me. They are just as good as any out there. IMHO

I use WLRM with great results as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you mic primer diameters, there is a difference, and Feds are larger. </div></div>

That was the reason I quit using win, after 2-3 firings when the primer pocket started to open up they would fall out inside my rifle (semi).

CCIs and Feds still have a good seating feel after 4-5 firings in the same brass.

In a bolt gun I don't think you would have that problem though.