• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester M1897 Gunsmith Recommendations.

RanchhandTCR

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Williams, AZ
A year ago I acquired a Winchester Model 1897(manufacturered in the 50's) from a lady who husband had passed and no one wanted them. The story behind this shotgun is her husband's father was a paid hunter for the state and killed coyotes with the gun. (Coyote hunting is my favorite pass time) I mainly bought it for the story and to keep it alive serving its original purpose. Anyhow I've used it for dove, quail and rabbit and is showing signs of needing love. It regularly does not release a shell from the tube and the action seems to have a little bind in it. I had taken it apart to clean the 10+ years of neglect as it sat in a soft case under a bed for it remainder of its life. Is their a smith out there who I can contact to give the ole gal a look at and see what needs repaired to get her to function like the good ole days?

Attachments

• 20210906_093944.jpg
    20210906_093944.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 76
Following. Used to know a smith for this, he’s out of the game now.

Check out the SASS Wire forums, tons of info on 1897 repairs and gunsmiths. Most of those guys keep buckets of donor parts and can get them up and running fairly easily.

Reactions: RanchhandTCR
The chamber may be 2 9/16 inch for the old black powder paper wad shells. That could be why it's having some feeding issues. I have pushed the chambers out for modern 2 3/4" shells and opened the ejection port a little for clearance. The gun probably needs broken down completely and cleaned. 97s are not a user friendly gun to take down and clean, a lot of screws. They are worth fixing up, I really like those old things.
You could try to find some 2 1/2" shells in the mean time, that may cure some issues.

Check out the SASS Wire forums, tons of info on 1897 repairs and gunsmiths. Most of those guys keep buckets of donor parts and can get them up and running fairly easily.
yup, lots of 97’s in the western shooting competitions. I’m sure there are plenty of guys who can make it run better than new.

The chamber may be 2 9/16 inch for the old black powder paper wad shells. That could be why it's having some feeding issues. I have pushed the chambers out for modern 2 3/4" shells and opened the ejection port a little for clearance. The gun probably needs broken down completely and cleaned. 97s are not a user friendly gun to take down and clean, a lot of screws. They are worth fixing up, I really like those old things.
You could try to find some 2 1/2" shells in the mean time, that may cure some issues.
This one stamped on the barrel for 2 3/4 shells. I did tear it down 100 percent to clean it as good as one could just saw some questionable wear in some places and since these are not my Forte love to get it sent to someone who can give me info on what parts are worn as this gun show alot of signs of use. Really appreciate the info.