• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester M1917**Pic Heavy**

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
Just picked up a Winchester M1917 in 30-06. I love these old service rifles. If anyone knows anything about this rifle let me know. Im just beginning to learn about them. It has a "W" marked rear sight and bolt. The barrel is an Eddystone i believe. It is stamped "E" 9-18. It has a very good bore and the stock has no cracks or major dings. The cartouches are very distinct. I cant wait to shoot this thing. Ive heard they're real good shooters.
DVxBEIN.jpg

K8qyXIj.jpg

2OshOyC.jpg

t3y95h4.jpg

Last edited:
thats a mighty fine rifle, I've always been curious about the 1917, looks like just a really strange 1903. how is that rear sight?

I have yet to shoot it but so far i really like it. Been rubbing kroil and linseed oil on the stock and metal and its really coming back to life. Gonna clean her real good before i go to the range. Really expect it to shoot good. The rifling is strong and the bore is bright.

Look at the front flat of the stock, like looking down the barrel, the makers stamp will be there,be a e,r,or w see if you gots a winny stock or nots

Very cool!
I have an Eddystone and love it! Very precise, strong as an ox, and beautiful!

Congrats on your purchase. The 'ugly duckling' of US milsurp rifles. My grandfather carried one in WWI and is why I purchased ... was also carried/used by Sergeant York, the most decorated soldier in WWI.

My experience with one in the family is that it's one solid, accurate, and reliable Service Rifle. My only quibble is with those gawdawful ears in the rear sight area; but they don't stop it from being a decent shooter

Nice fine. I have a SC and its a shooter.

how is that rear sight?

The rear sight on the M1917 works great. Might need tightened up, often it flips forward under recoil. A pain in rapid fire. Use the ladder instead of the Battle Sight. It lines up perfectly with '06 loaded to military specs for the M1917.

To the OP: Now you have to get a bayonet to go with it. Gotta have a bayonet with surplus rifles.

1917%20Enfield.jpg

KraigWY im already looking at bayonets. I have them for all my other service rifles. Looks like the bayonet is gonna cost almost as much as the rifle. How does yours shoot? Mine has an Eddystone barrel. I have read some Eddystone barrels are good, and some not so much. Im gonna take it to the range the first chance i get.

Mine shoots exceptional (its an Eddystone with an Eddystone Barrel).

I was at a Fun Shoot (machine gun shoot). I don't have any full autos but I rented a spot and took a bunch of my surplus rifles, incuding my M1917.

They had just replaced some targets, I ranged a fire extingisher at 450 yards. The guy next to me lined up on it with his belt fed and was hitting all around it. I set the sights at 450 and got the fire extingisher with the first hit.

Guy next to me said, "hey, I was shooting AT that", I just said (and I hit it). Guy laughed and complemented me on my M1917.

They are great rifles, Not as smooth as my M1903a3 or 1898 Krag, but its accurate, and a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

Always wondered why the army never tried to make sniper rifles out of them.

My experience with one in the family is that it's one solid, accurate, and reliable Service Rifle. My only quibble is with those gawdawful ears in the rear sight area; but they don't stop it from being a decent shooter

I think the 'ears' give it character. There are plenty of these around over here in Denmark (the Home Guard used them for some years after the war), and usually quite cheap too, but unfortunately most of them have had their ears removed.

Last edited:
VJJ it is an R. Is this a Remington stock?

Yes it's a remmy stock, wouldn't worry at all about it though those things have been refurbed many many times, and you have a beautiful stock so drive on, nice rifle man

Picked up a remington bayonet at a gun show this morning. Awesome shape. One of the nicest i have seen. It still has grease on the blade. The gunk and discoloration is the old grease. The edge and rest of the blade are in awesome shape
c2JviV4.jpg

sAUfGye.jpg

c9z532D.jpg

9DxtXnV.jpg

uyXFgl9.jpg

YVfVWnF.jpg