• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Mod 63

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
I just got a 1955 M 63 from GunBroker. I'm very excited about it, the classic little rifle kinda "speaks to me" LOL

Anway, are there some more mod 63 owners on here, any advice, tricks, tips, etc that I should keep in mind? I haven't owned or shot one before, I found one that was affordable and snatched it before someone else did.

Re: Winchester Mod 63

Well, I still like you, so I will comment.

A friend of mine who is well into his later years, had a collection of rifles that I get weak-kneed thinking about. He had oodles of pre-64s and a great selection of Lafever shotguns. I remember cleaning a bunch of rifles for him and it was an education.

He had one of the old 63s that he still shot squirrels and paper with. It was a classy rifle with an oil finish and very nice blueing. It is sad to say, but his age and accompanying infirmities have forced him to sell a lot of his stuff.

I hope you take it out and shoot it. Those rifles belong in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I still like you, so I will comment.

A friend of mine who is well into his later years, had a collection of rifles that I get weak-kneed thinking about. He had oodles of pre-64s and a great selection of Lafever shotguns. I remember cleaning a bunch of rifles for him and it was an education.

He had one of the old 63s that he still shot squirrels and paper with. It was a classy rifle with an oil finish and very nice blueing. It is sad to say, but his age and accompanying infirmities have forced him to sell a lot of his stuff.

I hope you take it out and shoot it. Those rifles belong in the field. </div></div>

Hah, thanks for the vote of confidence... I guess I should shower before posting threads...

I'm really looking forward to it, I plan to take it out very often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm trying to remember if the 63 is similar to the M75's and M52's.

Maybe I'm thinking M69's, either way, good luck </div></div>

It's a semi-auto, tube fed, butt stock loaded 22. I wish I could afford a 52, but I'd have to sell an awful lot of toys for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does it break down in half for backpack type use, if it is, a friend of mine has the same model or really similar. I don't think many people modify those, more of a collectors item. put a suppressor on it, make a light and handy high cap rabbit gun. that would be awesome. </div></div>

I got it on Saturday. No time to shoot it yet, but I disassembled and cleaned and inspected it thoroughly.

Clearly a gun that was used a lot, but where the stock has lots of "character" and the finish is mostly gone, the action and bore are spotless and very tight.

It has a thumbscrew takedown in the aft surface of the receiver for fast/easy disassembly. Tube fed and it loads through the port in the side of the butt stock.

I'm not going to bubba it up putting a can on the nose, my dad has a suppressed 10/22 that he just bought a spare barrel from GunBroker and threaded it.

I plan on keeping this for quite some time, so I'm going to take it down completely, strip the wood to bare and refinish the whole rifle.

I grew up shooting my Dad's M63 - his father bought it back in the 30's. Needless to say, it has digested hundreds of bricks of ammo, mostly on gophers, blackbirds, and the like. They are excellent guns, being Winchesters' high end semi-auto back in the days when you could buy a good .22 for $10-15. The springs in Dad's gun are so worn out they'll misfeed about every three rounds. But the gun will still shoot accurate enough.

Kaiser Norton

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Kaiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I grew up shooting my Dad's M63 - his father bought it back in the 30's. Needless to say, it has digested hundreds of bricks of ammo, mostly on gophers, blackbirds, and the like. They are excellent guns, being Winchesters' high end semi-auto back in the days when you could buy a good .22 for $10-15. The springs in Dad's gun are so worn out they'll misfeed about every three rounds. But the gun will still shoot accurate enough.

Kaiser Norton </div></div>

I had it out this weekend, the thing is great! I decided to try and find original wood for it in nice condition, this way it's not a "refinished" gun. Barring that, I'll end up making it look nice when I get settled into the new place I'm moving to. I'm sure I'll need something other than loading ammo to keep myself busy.

I'm very happy I bought it, they certainly don't make 'em like this anymore.