• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Mod 70 VHB Varmint... anyone have any experience?

Jay Ell Gee

Habitual Lurker
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
Tennessee
Hey everyone. I did some searching with very little in the way of results.

Recently, a basically new Winchester 70 VHB Varmint popped up on the local sale group. It’s a 26”, 1:12 twist Wilson barreled 308 in an HS Precision stock, which has an aluminum bedding block.

My understanding is that these were made in the mid 90’s. It still has the tags hanging on it.

Does anyone here have any experience with these rifles? I currently own no 308 rifle, just 6.5 CM, 223 and 22lr. I’ve wanted a 308 since I became interested in the long range shooting scene back in high school (think early 2000’s). However, most modern 308 rifles just don’t do anything for me that my other rifles already provide. I like the idea of a classic 308 just for shooting steel and maybe lending to friends on range days here and there. I wasn’t actively searching for a 308, but this one really caught my eye and is for sale about half an hour away.

The owner had the rifle sent off for a custom trigger job and a custom larger bolt knob, if that matters. He sighted it in with a handful of rounds and never shot it again. It’s been in the safe since.

I’m aware that the rifle won’t do anything that my 6.5 already can, but I like the idea of owning a 308, just to have one available.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I bought on in 22-250 and that thing would flat out shoot, the only problem with Winny's is the lack of support as compared to a 700 style action. That being said there is more now than when I bought mine, the action is on its 3rd barrel as I shot out the 250 and then put a 308 on it. I sold it to my cousin and he sent it to WTO and spun up a 6.5-47 and it still hammers. They are solid rifles and if you can get it for the right money I would say go for it.

Reactions: Blair B
Thanks for the input guys. It’s available for sale in the 800 range... may just have to see if he can be talked down a hair.

It looks like a really neat and rare little rifle. I would probably leave it exactly as it is and just enjoy it.