• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester model 100, 308

Terry Byrne

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2023
Newfoundland
I have two model 100 Winchester 308 rifles that won’t feed shells anymore and stick or jam. Anyone know a gunsmith that could take both and make one rifles that works?

Thanks

Welcome to Snipers Hide.
If the person is a genuine gunsmith, he/she should be able to make both of them work. As a manufacturing engineer, there is/was nothing more annoying to me than to see someone rob Peter to pay Paul. In other words, use an otherwise good machine that just needs repairing as a parts donor.

Okay, sorry for the minor rant. So tell us something about the rifles in question. Did you just pick these up from somewhere or are they old rifles you’ve owned for a long time that just stopped working?

Ever completely disassemble and clean them? If so, what are the wear points that you’ve noticed?

Oh and also, I own one that I picked up a while ago used and have to say that a feeding issue in these is often magazine related.

Be careful with disassembly/re-assembly with 100’s. Apparently, if not done a certain way, the stock can crack along the receiver, like my Dad’s (though it was likely me fooling around with it when I was in high school).
I need to dig around on YouTube and glue and clamp it.
Otherwise, Dad’s always fed like a champ and shot decent for what it was. Killed my first deer with it in ‘88.

Be careful with disassembly/re-assembly with 100’s. Apparently, if not done a certain way, the stock can crack along the receiver, like my Dad’s (though it was likely me fooling around with it when I was in high school).
I need to dig around on YouTube and glue and clamp it.
Otherwise, Dad’s always fed like a champ and shot decent for what it was. Killed my first deer with it in ‘88.
If you find any good vids on Utube, post a link.

I always liked the feel and balance but could never trust my pre-64 to put the bullets in the same place (scoped with a Leupold M3LR).

Although I killed deer with mine I eventually traded it toward a 700 Varmint now on its second barrel.

Check your gas system. Do both guns have the recall-corrected firing pins?

One of the Gun Digest disassembly and assembly volumes will show you how to detail strip them.