• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Winchester model 1897

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Tonight at my family Thanksgiving my aunt gave me a shotgun she had sitting around that was my grandfathers. Its a Win 1897. Model number calls for a 1900 production. It is a field 12ga with what looked to be a 28ish inch barrel. The condition is poor. Butt stock will come off, missing forend, internals though all there need a little work, will not slide, finish leaves a lot to be desired. Im not looking for information on value, I could care less what the thing is worth. Does anyone have experiences with these? Basically looking to make a decision on having it redone or keeping it the way my grandfather left it just for a keepsake. Dont get me wrong, if these show potential I would love to use this for birds and shooting some clays every now and then. The internet offers most information on the military models. Is it possible that I could refinish this without breaking the bank? I would want it to be in its most original state, but not overly anal about original manufactured parts. Would hate to get into a project that ends up costing a fortune in the long run. Whats your guys thoughts? I am still on my high just from getting it. Its a neat shotgun to say the least and I am happy to have a piece of my grandpa's history that hopefully my boys will be able to shoot in a few years if all works out well. Thanks for the help. I wasnt sure what section to post this in so feel free to move it if needed.

Brett

Re: Winchester model 1897

I will add that what makes this so important to me is the fact that I have a few regrets about the last few years of my grandfathers life. He was the kind of man that most teenage boys (myself and my cousins) would find boring at the age I was. He was in his mid to late 80s in my early teenage years and had spent his life working so hard he was wore out and beat down. He was perfectly content sitting in his chair reading his bible and watching western shows. My other grandfather was more involved with me one on one and tought me how to hunt. He is the grandpa I spent most of my time with. I deeply regret this. He served in WWII and I wish I could go back just to ask him some questions and get to know him a little better. Long story short at the time I was concerned with girls and football. Not something I am proud of and it is definitely something that tought me a lesson in life. Basically when I held this old shotgun in my hand tonight this is the first thing that came to my mind. I would have loved to know where he got it and if he hunted with it in his younger years, but its obviously to late. So, I thought this shotgun if refinished could serve as a nice reminder to me that life is short and you cant get ANY time back. Could also possibly make a damn good life lesson for my 2 little boys as well. Sorry to rant, just thought a little background of why it is important to me would shed a little more light.

That's an awsome gift. My brother has a 16ga '97 that was given to him by our Graddad. We have had a blast with it over the years. As far as working on yours, there are several gunsmiths working on them for cowboy action shooters. They can do amazing things with a '97. I would google cowboy action gunsmiths.

I have a 16 gauge handed down to me from my Dad who passed last year...

Great old shotgun. I would personally leave it the way it is as a keep sake. just my $.02

My Dad passed away three years ago and my brother and I are just now getting around to splitting his guns up. One of them is my Grandfathers 1897,(who passed aay when I was very young) which was my Dad's shotgun too. I believe mine is in useable condton and I plan on hunting/shooting it occasionally probably with some of the loads designed for old doubles(Light) jst so I can be with my old man some.

I don't know anyone to work on them sorry.

The M97 Winchester is supposed to be based on the M93 Winchester which was a John Browning design.

They are tough. I hunted with mine a little but its too darned heavy to carry through the mountains chasing the dogs that are chasing the grouse and turkeys. I would be alright for squirrel hunting but it sure does kick. I don't know how anything that heavy can kick that hard.

Have fun with it. They are neat old shotguns. I used to carry mine into buildings for building searches. Its a breakdown version and I'd take it down, tie a nylong cord to each piece, hand it over my shoulders/around my neck and carry it in under my raincoat so none of the delicate types downstairs on the doors knew I had it. Once in the stairwell we'd stop and my partner watched the doors while I put the two halves together and loaded it with 00 buck. Never had to use it but it sure did make us feel better to have it with us in those dark hallways/rooms.

Thanks for the info and advice guys. I am looking forward to this little project. I will keep ypu guys updated and upload some pics soon. What is the best way to remove surface rust on a lodie like this? I looked over it in a lot more detail tonight and I am sure with a little TLC I can get most of it off myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81Z4ME</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M97 Winchester is supposed to be based on the M93 Winchester which was a John Browning design.

They are tough. I hunted with mine a little but its too darned heavy to carry through the mountains chasing the dogs that are chasing the grouse and turkeys. I would be alright for squirrel hunting but it sure does kick. I don't know how anything that heavy can kick that hard.

Have fun with it. They are neat old shotguns. I used to carry mine into buildings for building searches. Its a breakdown version and I'd take it down, tie a nylong cord to each piece, hand it over my shoulders/around my neck and carry it in under my raincoat so none of the delicate types downstairs on the doors knew I had it. Once in the stairwell we'd stop and my partner watched the doors while I put the two halves together and loaded it with 00 buck. Never had to use it but it sure did make us feel better to have it with us in those dark hallways/rooms. </div></div>

Good lord! What the hell job did you work? LOL

I have one that my dad passed on to me back in the 60's. Its a 20" barrel and has a smooth action. I had it reblued right after he gave it to me and it still looks great. It got some serious trunk time in the 80's in my uniform car. Our sheriff didn't like anything out in sight.

Nice gun - you should try to restore it - there are a world of parts out there.