• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester model 70, 670 or a Mauser 98?

Infidel4life11

Retired Army
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Middle of nowhere
My local gun shop has a old Winchester 670 30-06 $450, a Winchester model 70 pre 64 243win $700 and a Mauser 98 bent bolt 30-06 $800. All are in great shape and with scopes I can walk away with the model 70 and mauser for $500. The calibers don't matter to me at all. I would like your thoughts are which rifle I should pick up and why. Thanks you guys.

Re: Winchester model 70, 670 or a Mauser 98?

98s are awesome, but take a careful look at it to make sure the work on it performed was done so correctly and make sure to check headspace. 450$ for a Win 670 is too high. It WAS Winchester's answer to the Rem 700 ADL, a model 70 with no bottom metal. I'd say 3-350 max on the 670 depending on condition.
All good, but as with anything used and or modified, check it carefully. Try to get answers on the Mauser like what barrel did they put on it? WHO did it? Does everything work? i.e. low scope safety, aftermarket trigger, etc.

I can't believe this is even being debated.

Pre-64, that's a no brainer.

That's a fair price for the 670, too much for the mauser and then the pre-64, Model 70???

thank you fellas, keep in mind I won't have to pay asking price the 670 will run "me" about 300 the model 70 about 500 and the mauser will be about 500. Give or take $50 either way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe this is even being debated.

Pre-64, that's a no brainer...</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe this is even being debated.

Pre-64, that's a no brainer.

That's a fair price for the 670, too much for the mauser and then the pre-64, Model 70??? </div></div>

+2

Well gentlemen I went into the shop today and talked guns with my friend who owns the shop. I ended up selling a ruger m77 mkII to a customer that my friend had in the shop for a while and after the guy walked out with his new rifle my friend said that he had been trying to sell that m77 for five months. Knowing that I wanted the model 70, 670 and the Mauser he let me take them out and shoot them. Long story short I made a 1/2" group with the Mauser and with the model 70 and a 3/8" group with the 670 all @ 100yards 3 shot groups in the prone firing off my range bag. The model 70 felt great the Mauser did too except the bolt has an assist to it that I didn't care for but the 670 was the fastest bolt lock up with little effort and overall felt better to me. I get back to the shop talked prices and the 670 was offered to me for 300 with and really nice leupold scope a bi-pod a 2 rifle hard case and 100rounds a plinking ammo. The mauser and 70 are still at 500 w/scope 1box of ammo no cases no bi-pod. He's holding the 670 for me what would you guys do.

The 670 is the most accurate because the post '64 uses a push feed bolt that circles the case head and always centers on the primer automatically. The Mauser and the Model 70 both are Controlled Round Feed and the bolt face is open on bottom and side and doesn't necessarily center well on the case head. Both Winchesters also have much faster lock times and better triggers than the Mauser. The 670 is essentially the same action as the 70 without the bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlmurphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 670 is the most accurate because the post '64 uses a push feed bolt that circles the case head and always centers on the primer automatically... </div></div>

I would imagine that Chamber dimensions, barrel quality (internal diameter, straightness, stress) , bedding, trigger, sear engagement, etc. etc. etc. may have something to do with accuracy. FWIW, I have never seen a 670 on the 600 yard line of any match I have attended.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlmurphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 670 is the most accurate because the post '64 uses a push feed bolt that circles the case head and always centers on the primer automatically... </div></div>

I would imagine that Chamber dimensions, barrel quality (internal diameter, straightness, stress) , bedding, trigger, sear engagement, etc. etc. etc. may have something to do with accuracy. FWIW, I have never seen a 670 on the 600 yard line of any match I have attended.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

I'd be interested to hear your argument for what trigger and sear engagement have to do with "accuracy."

Also, to the OP, get the Win model 70. .243 is a great caliber and the pre-64 Win 70 is arguably the best bolt action design, ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlmurphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 670 is the most accurate because the post '64 uses a push feed bolt that circles the case head and always centers on the primer automatically... </div></div>

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

I'd be interested to hear your argument for what trigger and sear engagement have to do with "accuracy."

Also, to the OP, get the Win model 70. .243 is a great caliber and the pre-64 Win 70 is arguably the best bolt action design, ever.</div></div>

Downzero- I'd imagine he was simply saying that its possible there's more than the bolt head that factors into making a rifle accurate.

That being said, It seems as though jlmurphy is saying that in his opinion CRF actions are inferior to push-feed?? That can and will be argued till the end of days!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe this is even being debated.

Pre-64, that's a no brainer...</div></div>

+1 </div></div>
+3

I think you'd have to have an AWFULLY loose chamber/cartridge fit to see inaccuracy caused by the broken-out bolt face of the CRF actions!

My point was that many parts effect whether a rifle is accurate or not, more than just a action type.

Good luck

Jerry