• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester model 70 bolt troubleshooting

Coejro

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 6, 2017
    Spokane, Washington
    Need some help on a model 70. Spent most of my bolt gun time on Remington 700’s but this is the first Model 70 I’ve had, so definitely not as familiar with the platform.

The issue: the push feed bolt picks up the round fine, and it chambers but the bolt will not close. If I slam the bolt forwards (and I mean slam, like mortar a brass over bolt round free slam) I can get the extractor to slip over the rim of the case. But otherwise the extractor won’t go over the rim, which is keeping the bolt from closing.

That’s my assessment, at least. Pictures attached of the bolt face. If this is the case, what is the best way to fix? New extractor and plunger/spring? The rifle was picked up used and looks relatively unfired. Was worked over by JK Cloward at some point, chambered in .308.

BD3901BE-73AB-4DD3-96CD-123834B7097B.jpeg

84EBA830-7245-4B2B-A777-1436A4DEDCC7.jpeg

F950EC63-BC15-4099-8B84-F8D2B9A328AF.jpeg

8D7310C2-1138-4527-97BC-EB4564CB30D8.jpeg

Do a simple "push test" of the extractor. Does it move back and forth freely ? Don't do this with the ejector, it may get jammed if there is gunk in the ejector hole.

Remove the extractor and ejector and their springs. Clean them and the bolt, including the extractor/ejector mating surfaces on the bolt. Do not lubricate (yet).

Without re-installing the springs, "fit check" both the extractor and the ejector in their mating positions in the bolt. Be very careful and DO NOT force the ejector into it's hole in the bolt. It will possibly get stuck and you'll have a very bad day. I usually will fit check the ejector with it upside down and make sure that I always have enough sticking out of the ejector hole so that I can grab it (the ejector) with needlenose pliers if it gets sticky. It is possible that the ejector was not aligned properly upon reassembly and the roll pin (retainer) is going through the ejector sping.

If either part sticks, then clean both surfaces again. If anything still sticks, then some qualified gunsmith fitting may be in order. Cloward wasn't known for being a hack. Crabby ? Yes. Hack ? No.....

At the end of the day, you probably just have a dirty bolt that needs a good cleaning.

Last edited:
    Reactions: spife7980
    @Threadcutter308 much appreciated, I’ll give it a try tomorrow evening. As far as the “push test” the extractor does not move back and forth freely, there is a significant amount of resistance. The extractor plunger moves with grinding/catching, and then the plunger is depressed the extractor slide freely. I’ll pull both and clean/check for interference next.

@Threadcutter308 much appreciated, I’ll give it a try tomorrow evening. As far as the “push test” the extractor does not move back and forth freely, there is a significant amount of resistance. The extractor plunger moves with grinding/catching, and then the plunger is depressed the extractor slide freely. I’ll pull both and clean/check for interference next.
    As far as the "push test", I think my wording was a bit off. Yes, you will feel resistance. If you look through the top of the hole in the extractor, you'll see the top of the conical silver plunger that mates up with a complimentery cut in the bottom of the extractor. Under that plunger is a spring that pushes the plunger up into the cut in the bottom of the extractor. That's what holds everything together when completely assembled.

Anyway, that is why I recommend pulling everything apart and cleaning all parts well. Once cleaned, put the extractor back in its slot (without the spring or plunger) and move it back and forth in the slot. That's when/where it should move freely without drag.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from having worked on many Rem 700 and 700 pattern rifles. But, your setup looks similar, if not the same.

Last edited:
    The extractor can get dirty or even lightly corroded from bore cleaner.
    They work pretty much like the Savage extractors. If the prior owner cleaned the bolt face with bore cleaner it can get underneath the extractor and lock it up.

Pulled the extractor (what a pain). The detent plunger spring is just a little too long so it caused the extractor to bind on removal. Once I got it off, there was a burr on the underside of the extractor at the lip of the indent that the detent slide in as the extractor moves. Filed it down and put it back together. Still more difficult to chamber than I’d expect but certainly much better than before. I’ll shoot it some and see if it smoothed out, if not, the bolt will go off to get tuned. Thank you both for the help! @Mike Casselton @Threadcutter308