• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester Model 70 caliber conversion

cfolsom

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2012
Idaho
Need some help on what parts to get to convert a Winchester Model 70 for a rebuild I'm working on. I have a post-64 model 70 that is a push feed action. It is chambered in 22-250 and I am rebarreling to a 6mm Creedmoor. I noticed the magazine box has a spacer in the back for the 22-250 that won't work with the 6 Creed. The bolt stop also stops the bolt farther forward to work with the magazine box spacer.

So I've been looking for the parts I need to get and am confused with all the different options for magazine boxes. I have been looking at the Midwest Gunworks site for the parts and not sure if I can use the 220 Swift push feed box that is stamped (CSL) or if I need to use the Winchester Model 70 Magazine Box, .243/.308/.257 that is stamped (A). The last box is marked as discontinued.

I'll also need to buy a new bolt stop but that is straightforward. So any help in figuring out the right mag box i would appreciate the help. Thanks.

The .308 magazine box, follower and bolt stop would be my bet. If you want to mail me a dummy round, I can try it out in my .308 M70.

That's what I was thinking too but when you look at the parts there are quite a few options for 243/308 magazine boxes. I've called Winchester to see if they could provide help but they were clueless so I'm going to try to remove the spacer in the magazine box and cut the bolt stop to the right length and then order the correct follower. We'll see how it goes.

Max OAL for the 6.5 creed is 2.825. For 308/762, 2.800. I'd be surprised if WIN made a special spacer and bolt stop just for 22-250 (yes I have a 1966 factory Match Rifle in 308 so can take some measurements and share), so it sounds like the issue is you want to load longer than max OAL.

That era action only came in one size, with different bolt stops and mag boxes for shorter rounds. You can modify both to suit your needs with the 6.5 Creed.

There may also be a different follower as the 250 Savage parent case of the 22-250 has more body taper than the 308.

Once you mod the box and bolt stop, yea a LA follower and spring makes sense to me, but you better open up the box and mod the bolt stop so it now goes full open "long action" to keep the rounds from ending up under the bolt.

Yes by removing the spacer that was in the 22-250 mag box I now have plenty of room for the 6 creedmoor and I modified the bolt stop so the bolt opens all the way to just past the magazine box. Once I get the new follower I will modify the magazine box to make sure it feed reliably.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii