• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester model 70 heavy barrel

Re: Winchester model 70 heavy barrel

It is a project my buddy is doing. Can someone custom build one? For some crazy reason, he is set on building a rifle on a Winchester action.

Any good smith can rebarrel a Win 70. Most consider them an excellent action to build on.

I had a Schnieder p5 sendero contour installed on my model 70 crf action a while back and if I remember right it was around $550-$600 dollars for the barrel and installed.

When i was first getting into this, a buddy of mine taught me how to shoot long distance. He was a former instructor the USMC at pendleton. I remember asking him, "why a winchester, why not a remington?" he swore by his winchester model 70, and man that rifle would SHOOT. they are a very formidable firearm.

I was a little thrown by his response to my question, right up until i shot his rifle. it had been trued and sported a straight taper heavy 24" barrel and that rile was just a dream to shoot.

Short version: some prefer the winchester, and its sort a little known secret just how well they shoot and how nice they are. I think a lot of the popularity of the 700s dont necessarily come from the quality of the firearm, but from the huge number of accessories, and addons available as opposed to say, a model 70.

-Paulus

Reactions: Rich4 and RTH1800

Its also due to remmies being cheap and far less work to fuss with when building one for accuracy stuff. Fixturing one in a lathe can be a pain.

Its what lead me to go in a completely different direction regarding receiver work.

It is kinda a ford and Chevy thing. both make a good product but most people are set in their ways about what they like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take a winni over a remmy any day.

Silky smooth and just as accurate.</div></div> A+111

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntermanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is kinda a ford and Chevy thing. both make a good product but most people are set in their ways about what they like.</div></div> More like ford vs Cadillac when using pre 64 action . to each his own , mod 700 Rems are like the Ruger 10-22 loads of aftermarket options and most all smiths cut their teeth on the Rem.s .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take a winni over a remmy any day.

Silky smooth and just as accurate. </div></div>
I agree! I love the model 70's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntermanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is kinda a ford and Chevy thing. both make a good product but most people are set in their ways about what they like.</div></div> More like ford vs Cadillac when using pre 64 action . to each his own , mod 700 Rems are like the Ruger 10-22 loads of aftermarket options and most all smiths cut their teeth on the Rem.s . </div></div>

+1

Remingtons are popular because they are cheaper to manufacture than a Winny.

Reactions: RTH1800

Silky smooth and just as accurate. </div></div>

I'm with Chad on this one. BTW, did you scoop those pre-64's up that I found up in Maine? Someone beat me to it, lol
I've procured 2 since christmas and one it on its way back from Mark Chanlynn freshly done up in 6.5x55

There are left handed Winchesters out there, just not near as many as Rem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are left handed Winchesters out there, just not near as many as Rem </div></div>

Can't say that I have ever run across one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tough to find, but they do exist. We've built a handful of them. </div></div>

That's cool. Just never run across one. Chad, I got a Stiller TAC-30 I think I'm gonna send you, as soon as I get an uninletted stock.

It's no secret, the Winchester Model 70 has been labeled The Rifleman's Rifle for quite some time. It is a good design and "a must have" IMO for anyone who loves American made rifles. Hold one and you know it's a rifle you don't have to tinker with to shoot.

Here's a nice little article how this rifle is used for tactical service.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/guns-and-weapons/fnh-usa-spr-a5-m-308/

I'm a big fan of the Model 70 Action. I like the flat reciever for making magnum guns. This is my 1000 yard rifle in 300 WM I built when I was shooting for the guard.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

While we're on the subject and maybe better addressed in its own thread, does anyone know the correct barrel dimensions for building a correct Vietnam era sniper? I've seen reference to a medium heavy varmint contour and that Douglas barrels were also used. I talked to Douglas today and they did not have any information. Matter of fact, they asked me to call them back once I found out so that they could add the profile to their records as they have been asked many times in the past the same question. So if anyone has specifics or has a Hathcock type rifle, please chime in with the pertinents.

PipeW.

Give me a few hours. Years ago someone (from the SH I believe) sold me a surplus military barrel used on the Vietnam era rifles. It's a Douglas and was pre-chambered for '06, all I had to do was finsh reaming for headspace.

I'll get the measurments for you.

" at receiver and .9 at muzzle,24", flat crown, Winchester called it the med-heavy target barrel. Douglas made many, TBA uses Douglas , someone at Douglas barrel knows... very best Im trying to correct these dimensions via Roger Rules book

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PipeW.

Give me a few hours. Years ago someone (from the SH I believe) sold me a surplus military barrel used on the Vietnam era rifles. It's a Douglas and was pre-chambered for '06, all I had to do was finsh reaming for headspace.

I'll get the measurments for you.</div></div>
Do You know if any more of the mil surplus douglas mod 70 barrels are out there, for sale? thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do You know if any more of the mil surplus douglas mod 70 barrels are out there, for sale? thanks</div></div>

No Sir, I just mentioned I was looking for a barrel to make a Vietnam Era Model 70 Sniper Clone, Some chimed back that they had a surplus barrel and I bought it.

PIPE:

Mine is 26 inches long, 1.125 at the Chamber in and .875 ay he muzzle. STraight taper.

It's a shooter, thats for sure. I use 175 SMKs loaded to the M72 specs in M72 LC Match Brass and it works great.

Winchester Brass works too with out changing much.

I'm a big fan of the M70 pre-64 and classic actions. Come with a pretty decent trigger from the factory, controlled round feed, 3 position safety and they feel like their riding on ball bearings...whats not to like about them?

I called Douglas... they thought Mike must contour them himself. When we get a quorum on specs I'll know how to proceed. Thanks y'all

I have a lot of Winchesters, Pre and Post '64s. I really don't see the advantage in accuracy of the pre vs post actions. It's barrels and how they are put together that makes them accurate.

In the early 80s I bought 6 Post '64 Model 70 actions for $235. Wished I could get another deal like that.

I only got three of them, My 1000 yard gun posted above, my Vietnam era Sniper Clone and my wifes 243.

The other three were tuned into 1000 yard rifles for the AK NG Rifle Team.

My best shooters are target rifles built on the post 64 actions.

For straight factory I believe the new FN Model 70s is the pick of the litter. Best factory trigger I ever found.

I have a left hand Mod 70 30-06 Classic(stainless) I looked for for more years than I care to admit and paid way more than I care to admit. It shoots well, but is brutal off of the bench. Would a different stock help? any suggestions? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1.150" at receiver and .790" at muzzle,24", flat crown, Winchester called it the med-heavy target barrel. Douglas made many, TBA uses Douglas , someone at Douglas barrel knows... very best </div></div>
How much distance is there in the chamber area at 1.150 before the taper begins? I guess I wondering what the "E" distance is as shown on the Douglas website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pipewhiner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1.150" at receiver and .790" at muzzle,24", flat crown, Winchester called it the med-heavy target barrel. Douglas made many, TBA uses Douglas , someone at Douglas barrel knows... very best </div></div>
How much distance is there in the chamber area at 1.150 before the taper begins? I guess I wondering what the "E" distance is as shown on the Douglas website.</div></div>
The drawings are so small I'm gonna have to get a mag glass to read. as to the taper. "STRAIGHT TAPER OF .01484 PER IN. INCLUSIVE." I do not think there is a "E" distance but I will keep digging. I will also dig out micrometer and take action out of stock to get exact reading off a bone stock 56' mod 70 target. very best and bear with me. I still say some where buried at Douglas they have correct drawings. These guns were rebuilt right up the road at USMC depot in Albany GA . for Marines

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pipewhiner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1.150" at receiver and .790" at muzzle,24", flat crown, Winchester called it the med-heavy target barrel. Douglas made many, TBA uses Douglas , someone at Douglas barrel knows... very best </div></div>
How much distance is there in the chamber area at 1.150 before the taper begins? I guess I wondering what the "E" distance is as shown on the Douglas website.</div></div>
prewar3.jpg

no "E " distance

So the taper starts immediately after the action threads basically. Am I correct in that assumption? Thanks for all your help. I just put this barreled action in a stock I found and she's so darn purty, I having second thoughts. Nah, I'll do it. I've always wanted one. Maybe I should post a pic. I never tire of seeing classic winny.

This is the project rifle. I believe I procured the correct stock. Someone please tell me if it's not. It's been refinished but hasn't been cut and still has the steel buttplate. I hope it's right.

2012-04-06_12-35-26_374.jpg

2012-04-06_12-35-14_805.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pipewhiner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the taper starts immediately after the action threads basically. Am I correct in that assumption? Thanks for all your help. I just put this barreled action in a stock I found and she's so darn piety, I having second thoughts. Nah, I'll do it. I've always wanted one. Maybe I should post a pic. I never tire of seeing classic winny.</div></div>
Yes sir, Im still not 100% on measurements, A call to Mike at TBA would confirm. I am sure on taper , it came off Olin, Winchester drawings. I want to shoot mine every day .. dont want to wear out winchester barrel LOL the low comb stock kicks like a mule on the bench. never notice on deer..

I have a 5 digit Model 70, 74xxx range with a GR Douglas 30-06 26" heavy barrel on it. The barrel has the stamping GR DOUGLAS 30- 06 with 2 XX's in a circle. On the bottom center of the barrel near the receiver it is stamped "644 11 69" and has a F nearest the receiver.

It is in an excellent piece of wood, military looking with no checkering at all. It has been glass bedded at one time, I suspect when it was barreled.

The kicker is is also has a mint Redfield I Tube 3 x 9 matt green USMC scope and redfield rails. The scope has the original USMC serial number on it, the scope SN is in the range 2214xx.

I can't tell if this was put together by an armorer possible in the late 60's, by a collector after that time maybe an avid Sniper lover but regardless it is a beautiful specimen.

A few pictures I took of the areas mentioned can be seen here

Assorted pictures of my M70 Sniper rifle

Thanks, Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do You know if any more of the mil surplus douglas mod 70 barrels are out there, for sale? thanks</div></div>

No Sir, I just mentioned I was looking for a barrel to make a Vietnam Era Model 70 Sniper Clone, Some chimed back that they had a surplus barrel and I bought it.

PIPE:

Mine is 26 inches long, 1.125 at the Chamber in and .875 ay he muzzle. STraight taper.

It's a shooter, thats for sure. I use 175 SMKs loaded to the M72 specs in M72 LC Match Brass and it works great.

Winchester Brass works too with out changing much.
</div></div>

... even Jan Fleming wrote about it,placing it in the hand of his 007 during a countersniper night employement, beyond the Berlin Wall... I think the novel was named "The living daylights",and begins with Bond testing the rifle at Bisley...

Great info on this thread...

If the OP's buddy has a Push-Feed receiver it makes barrel swapping super-easy. No extractor cut to line up, basically thread your barrel on and verify headspace and you are set.

Many barrelmakers will deliver a threaded barrel, and chamber to your receiver's specifications. Depth gauge dimensions from receiver shoulder to boltface and boltnose give your barrel guy all he'll need. FN receivers have a different barrel thread pitch though.

Might want to search for take-off barrels on Ebay and Gunbroker. If buddy's rifle is a CRF type might be a bit more fitting involved, but could get lucky and get a barrel that lines right up when torqued.

I sold all the Rem 700s I owned years ago and prefer Win 70 & Sako 995 over any Remington 700.

Its been seven years since this barrel dimension subject has been added to.
Has any more evidence surfaced with regard to any documented barrel specifics .
I would be especially interested in the Douglas sniper barrels as used on the earliest barrels circa 1942 and later.

FNH SPR 20" MTU & FNH PBR Bartlein Marksmen in 7SAW II here, No fuss no muss , they just plain work!, Best Action? , from factory yes IMHO!, Barbie friendly?, NO!. Any good smith can barrel one but if you plan on a chassis system dream on! , few options and even fewer magazine options , most are proprietary to chassis maker and limit COAL to less than 2.970"s
To the OP, if this is a hunting build I'd go with a quality heavy sporter profile barrel , your choice ( Bartlein or Benchmark for me ! ) and put it in a McMillan stock that fits your bottom metal and be done with it!
I have a machinist friend That I plan on letting abuse a FNH SPR bottom metal to adjust to ARC magazines and possibly a " Oh, My God Chassis if I can afford it"!, I cant understand why chassis makers will not accommodate M-70 SA or LA receivers as the only mods needed are to the mag wells and bolt stops as I understand it!
Happy New Year & Best of Luck in 2020!

Winchester 70s and SPRs are my favorite receivers. They are strong as hell and as true as factory actions get.

I set the barrel up horizontally, at an angle, using my Glacern swivel base and a v-block, then use the PTG concave sidemill cutter for the extractor groove.

I wrote a cnc program to inlet for the FN TBM bottom metals. In my opinion, the TBM and FN mags feed the FN receivers smoother than anything else out there. AICS mags out of PTG bottom metals are a close 2nd.