• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester model 70 post 64 Trigger Trigger Issue

MachinistND

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2021
ND
has anyone else had this issue with the firing pin cocking piece riding over the sear when the bolt is closed? I can push the firing pin forward with my thumb with ease when the sear does catch the firing pin when the firing pin is cocked. I bought a timney trigger to take care of the issue and the timney does the same thing. Called Timney and they told me to leave the rear trigger pin out, drill and tap the receiver to bolt on the bolt catch and use the forward push screw on the timney to tip the trigger (sear) closer to the cocking piece for more sear engagement. The Timney tech told me he has only heard of this issue in a hand full of Winchester rifles in his 10 years as a tech. This was from another old thread on this site that I didn't get a reply to (The firing pin just rides forward when I close the bolt and I can see that it is clearly overtaking the sear. It seems that the sear to trigger engagement is a bit sloppy allowing the sear to be pushed down by the firing pin before the trigger stops movement in the sear) I'm pulling out my hair. I didn't want to drill and tap my receiver so I slotted the rear pin hole on the timney trigger to accomplish the same effect as leaving it out and have had no success. I have a Rifle Basics trigger on the way to see if the sear engagement to this new trigger is any different to get rid of my issue. I'm almost ready to weld the rear trigger pin holed and relocate them for more sear engagement. Thanks for any info anyone may have.