• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Model 70 (Pre 64) Base Help

kCHIKS

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2011
Pillager, MN
I'm pretty new here and this will be my first thread started. With that I need help/advice I picked up a Winchester Model 70 (Pre 64) according to the SN the action was made in 1954.
Its chamber in .243 win and came with a bedded stock and bull barrel and a Leopold scope base (first thing I did was remove that) as I am not a big fan and preffer one piece steel Picatinny base's.

I am trying to find a base to pick up with a recoil lug. I am not having much luck and I have a call into brownells to see what they recommend and offer, else plan B as of right now pick up a Nightforce Steel Gun Smith Base and have it machined. Gunsmith Bases | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

I know that I can not be the first to tackle this and I am interested in what other hide members have done?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAJ9s/9wZhJ8398KQ/w2176-h1225-no/2014-06-03

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...T7mo/w690-h1225-no/IMG_20140606_215646706.jpg

Ferrel makes one that has a tension screw that is applied once mounted. It serves the same purpose of the lug. Dont guess I understand the need for a lugged base on a 243 though. They arent exactly punishing. Near makes an excellent stainless steel base that is very high quality, though not sure if there is a difference in the modern long acton and the pre-64.

LRJammer: I hear you on the lug.... Who knows if it will stay a .243 and I like to do things only once and not second guess it, with that a lug is not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the info

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I use a 20 MOA base done by EGW. It was hard to find on their site, and wasnt clear if it was intended for an actual pre-64 or the new classic "pre-64" model FN uses today. Call them up and they will get you squared away. It fits and works great.

That said, if I wouldve known Mr Dixon made a base I wouldve used his.

Chad, would you ever be interested in developing a DBM setup for a pre-64?

Badger Ordnance .........and done.

Last edited:
LongRifles, Inc: how do I go about getting my hands on one of these bases? I really like the end result of the work you guys did on that hide cup rifle, Good WORK!
I currently have an order in for a Ken Farrel Winchester 70 Long action base: Ken Farrell, Inc. -- Winchester Long in Steel Black Matte 20 MOA
I took the screw hole measurements they have on there site and they line up with my action.
I have no problem cancelling that order first thing Monday if the base made for the Hide Cup would be available to me.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Kevin

Thus far our base is for the newer classic m70s with the newer trigger style.

I've not done anything to see how it fits on my 1936 and 1941 LA m70s that I have.

keep in touch. We'll dive into this a little more.

c.