• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester model 70 pre 64

Ep1985

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2018
Oklahoma
Kicking around the idea of selling a winchester model 70 pre 64 chambered in .270. Manufacture date is 1954. What is the value on this. I've looked around on the internet and they range from $800-$1800 from what I've seen depending on shape. I'd say this one is 90%. Two small blems on the barrel and a couple dings on the butt stock.

I believe a standard.
If it has a third screw in the forearm going into the barrel it is a standard if not then a featherweight. If the stock hasn’t been cut and original steel buttpad in as stated 90% with no extra holes drilled in the receiver it is in the $850-$900 range.

Reactions: RTH1800
If it has a third screw in the forearm going into the barrel it is a standard if not then a featherweight. If the stock hasn’t been cut and original steel buttpad in as stated 90% with no extra holes drilled in the receiver it is in the $850-$900 range.
Great, thank you for the info, I will verify and make sure it is a standard.

Keep it, true it, put a good barrel on it, or just leave it alone.

Unless it has sentimental value, sell it. These peaked in value ten years ago, sell it before it goes any further south. The people that those are worth alot to are dying off every year. There are better actions (the only thing that ever made that rifle exceptional) rolling off the machines every day, and those actions are getting cheaper.

Reactions: SDBguy95
No sentimental value at all. I dont wanna build on it, would use the funds to put toward another Surgeon build.

Reactions: Pre-64
Unless it has sentimental value, sell it. These peaked in value ten years ago, sell it before it goes any further south. The people that those are worth alot to are dying off every year. There are better actions (the only thing that ever made that rifle exceptional) rolling off the machines every day, and those actions are getting cheaper.

@jakelly makes the best point. This is the sad truth about collectibles: they’re only worth what us old farts will pay for them, and we’re croaking off every year. I first learned this with muscle cars. Old farts want the car they couldn’t afford when they were young. Not many millennials are dreaming of a ‘66 Chevelle and they don’t pine for a pre-64 M70.

Sad but true. Oh well.

@jakelly makes the best point. This is the sad truth about collectibles: they’re only worth what us old farts will pay for them, and we’re croaking off every year. I first learned this with muscle cars. Old farts want the car they couldn’t afford when they were young. Not many millennials are dreaming of a ‘66 Chevelle and they don’t pine for a pre-64 M70.

Sad but true. Oh well.
I didnt figure it was worth a fortune or anything, but I've had it for a couple of years and it just sits in the safe taking up room.