• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester model 70 XTR 338

Ross0341

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2009
NY
Is it viable to convert this thing to 338 lapua with out replacing most of the rifle? If so how would I go about it and est price?

Re: Winchester model 70 XTR 338

In a word: "no". A push feed M 70 is not worth a lot in any case. By the time you fixed the bolt, magazine and got a proper barrel you would be so far upside down that you would never recover 25% of your money.
A good one (SAKO, HS, CZ) will cost $3-4K and if well cared for will probably hold value.
It's a caliber you really gotta think about owning as the first cost is only the beginning.
I used to live where you do and would be hard put to find an application needing a 338 LM...unless you just want one (which is reason enough).
Good shooting!

i have spoken via email with greg tannel of gretan rifles a few times, his response time in getting back with me was very fast, and he seems to be extremely knowledgeable about mod 70's. he is probably one of the first people i would contact about your situation. good luck

I haven't measured it but I would think the action may be too short. Isnt it shorter then the 375 Version.

Anyway: There are other cheaper options for a 338 Lup.

Years ago I wanted a 416 Rigby (still trying to figure out why). I had a 1917 Remington Action which is plenty long enough. It worked quit well and didnt cost an arm and leg. I still have it, and if you ever shot a too light 416 you know why its not shot out after 30 years.

Anyway you can get a 1917 action pretty reasonable and build the 338 Lup. without dumping 2-3 grand in a Sako.