• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester Model 88

bjohnson_7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
by the river TN
I just picked up this lever gun off my uncle after years of asking. Its in .308. Are their any gunsmiths that work on them? I would like it accurized and smoothed up maybe some trigger work. I know this is a shot in the dark but is there anyway to get an AR-10 mag to work in these?

Re: Winchester Model 88

No, the AR-10 magazine will not work in the gun. You need to find out if that gun is a pre 64. One cheap (some times does not work because someone switches stock) way to do this is to look at the stock and see if it has hand checkering on it, or a basket weave pattern. If it is pre 64 please dont touch it. Pre 64 will have the hand checkering. They bring a premium and are highley sought after. Remember this gun was not meant to shoot 1/2 inch at a hundred........ Goood luck with what ever you decided to do with that gun, just dont accidently kill the value

It is pre '64 serial # has been verified and does have the hand checkered stock. I don't plan on ever letting this baby go. I just want the lock up and timing to be smooth as silk.

I refinished one once, stock job and blue. Friggin puzzle putting it back together, lot of work in one of those things. Great rifle though.