• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester or Remington Brass

The4thHorseman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Hatboro, PA
www.comcast.net
I'm reloading 223 and I currently have Winchester 748 powder and Remington 7 1/2 primers. My question is which brass is the better of the two to get as many reloads as possible? How are they for accuracy? I know the cooler I keep the load the longer the brass will last but are they the same in quality? With the other components I'm using does one suit better than the other? The bullets will be hornady 55gr FMJ since I have 1000 of them. I will also be looking into the serria match king 69gr bullet also. Lastly I know its the wrong time to ask since I already ordered it but how is the 748 powder? Good quality? I saw that it was available so I ordered 5 lbs. I see today its out of stock. Please advise. Thanks

Re: Winchester or Remington Brass

For my AR-15 I run 26.0 grains of Win 748 in about any case I can get under 55gr V-max. I would use the same for FMJ. I would buy the Winchester brass first if I had a choice, but would not hesitate to pick up Remington brass either.

If you're running cooler loads, use whichever you can find. Both are more than adequate.

I use 748 & Rem 71/2 primers. Rem brass is not as good as Lake City or FC mil brass that you reworked. Barrel twist could effect the 69gr bullets. If you have 1:9, might want to stay with the H55's.

Where did you find the 748 powder? I love that powder. It burns cooler and it meters extremely well in my dillon 550. I cuss the IMR 4895 powder because of how poorly it runs through my dillon. From now on it's 748.

You may be able to run the 69's or even heavier but you will have to try them to know for sure. My 1in9 didn't care for the 69 grainers but does well with 55's and 60's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you find the 748 powder? I love that powder. It burns cooler and it meters extremely well in my dillon 550.</div></div>

Have you tried H335?

I have a bushmaster 1-9 that loves H335 with 60 hornady v-max bullets. I'd tell you what kind of groups I've had but you would not believe me... I have not tried 69's through it other than a few factory loaded rounds which did not shoot very well at all.

On the other hand my remington tactical 1-9 lives on 69 and 75 grain BTHP's and Ive used both varget and H335 with great success.