• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Pre 64?

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Which models of Pre 64 winchester model 70 is best for a custom build, or does it matter? I think I have found one I'd like to buy. It is in Win 264 and is in pretty good condition.

Re: Winchester Pre 64?

the best kind are the ones that are already beat up, or have been modified some way from original... otherwise they are too valuable to tear apart for a custom build... a nice .264 that is straight is worth nearly $1500

DD

I looked at a pre-64 1948 transition model 30-06 Govt. in good condition today, $1,500.00 I may have to bring it home but definately not for a custom build.

I went ahead and got it. I am thinking it may be too original and or clean to actually modify though. May not have been the one I should have bought. I will try and get pics up soon.

Money in the bank, they ain't gettin' any cheaper. Count yourself lucky and enjoy it.

Yeah, post some pics, that will help identify if it is straight or not... the finish is critical and is very difficult to tell over pictures, but I am sure we will give it a shot.

Dave

I don't recall seeing "Factory" bedding jobs on any of the Pre '64 Mod. 70's I've had... But, Winchester wasn't all that consistant back in the day. If someone requested something and they could do it... they would. Good find! Post pics!

I will get pics tonight. Probably a 'smith bedding job.

It is a brownish material used to bed it. Only bedding jobs I have ever had were done by GAP. I am no expert, but the bedding job on this rifle looks very old, but very well done. Pics this evening. Its not perfect, but I am proud of it.

Here we go. What do you think? You can just barely see in one of the pics that a recoil pad was added at some point.

pre64005.jpg

pre64001.jpg

pre64006.jpg

pre64004.jpg

pre64003.jpg

pre64002.jpg

I Like It!!! It's not really a "collector" grade but it has some good honest wear. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to do a build with it if that was the intended purpose and I got into it cheap... say... under $750.00. Oh, if it's "Factory" .264 it's worth a little more than most... but still not a $2000 M70. Have fun with it whatever you decide!

The only thing I would wonder about from the pictures is the stock. Bedding may not hurt a bunch, but it will hurt a little value wise. The other thing that I can't tell is if it has original finish or not on the stock? Or if it is an aftermarket stock, it is sure a nice looking piece of wood, definately doesn't look like a factory pad. However, I would still say that barreled action is going to be worth nearly $1,000, the .264 is a good caliber, and they bring some money...

Dave