• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Winchester Q3130

eravelo

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2009
Miami Lakes, FL
Just ordered a Remmy 700 5r "milspec".

I also ordered a case of BH 175 ammo, but I have some Win Q3130 147gr ammo. This ammo would be used for non-critical shooting, but I am afraid that the copper-clad steel jacket bullet will adversely affect the barrel. This ammo is like the US mil NATO spec M80, and the Dynamit Nobel 7.62 ammo currently flooding the market. I have used XM80 in an HK G3 with no apparent ill-effects, but that is another kettle of fish.
Would these "steel jacket" bullets hurt the bore of a precision rifle barrel?

Regards,

Jorge

Re: Winchester Q3130

I won't say "won't", but I'm not majorly fearful of 'steel jacketed' projectiles. IMHO they are probably more like ductile iron than spring steel in their hardness/abrasive-related factors. I can't really say whether they would cause more abrasion than gilding metal jackets, they might; but I am also mindful that bore friction/wear is not the primary cause of barrel failure. It's throat burnout.

Still...; the thought leaves my hackles a bit raised and a bad taste in the mouth where premium barrels are involved...

I'd feel much more confident about doling out advice if I was able to periodically borescope the barrel, and really; whether you use copper or steel jackets, borescoping is not something I'd categorize so much as a luxury, but rather more as a pretty useful tool for guaging the progression of bore condition. I have been fortunate in the past to have occasional access to a Hawkeye, and I hope I can continue to do so.

Seeing things explains a lot. Much of what one sees is kinda meaningless unless you've got access to someone who can tutor you to interpret what you see. One of the things that surprised me is the sometimes utterly unrelated linkage between what may appear as a hopelessly toolmarked/scored bore and the fact that the same bore may shoot lights out.

Throats are another story. A seriously cracked throat is on its way out, no interpretation needed there.

Greg

My sentiments exactly. It ain't worth it.

I wonder if any M24's or other US sniper rifles were shot with M80 ammo for any length of time.

I shot them in my .308 and .30-06 Kreiger barreled rifles to practice offhand and sitting positions. It does not 'damage' the barrel. Barrels are expendable.

Good luck

Jerry

Thx for the feedback.

I bought a case of Federal American Eagle Ammunition 7.62x51mm (308 Winchester) 168 Grain Open Tip Match @ 80 cents/round for practice. This ammo has a good rep so far.

BTW, is a 6x9 Harris bipod OK for prone with this rifle?

I have one on my SPR clone and it seems OK