• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Stock options

R Moran

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2014
Tooele, Utah
Looking for some advice or ideas for a stock for a 1969 Win70 Target. I posted about this rifle not long ago. According to my smith the stock is going to require repair of numerous cracks in the inlet area. Looking at maybe 400 bucks. I'm in no rush, have a Weaver T10 getting blue printed right now, so I'm just looking at options.
I'm not looking to clone or tribute, etc. Just something that a 70s era shooter, equivalent to member here, might put together. Maybe a small town LE officer, a survivalist(remember them), someone going to Africa to kill commies, etc.

Here's what I'm looking at, in no particular order

Fix the factory stock...
Mcmillan HTG or Win Sporter stock
HS Precision stock...it looks like the factory stock...
I bought a semi finished Bishop varmint stock. The barrel channel needs to be done, final finishing, sanding, etc...looking at 4-500 bucks from another local guy. Places I found on line, were listing prices in the thousands.

I think the McMillan is the A answer, especially when I start looking at the cost of finishing out a wood stock.

There is a McMillan HTG on GBer, for $400, listed as "pre64"...but I'm unsure if the 69 would fit though. Aren't there variations in the receiver tang?

Any other ideas?

There is a action length difference in the pre and 69. Have to move the front hole and lug cut forward.
And open forward the mag box well.
Lengthen the floorplate bottom cut and recut the hinge slot.
Widen the triggerguard cut.
Any smith worth a shit can do this easy and bed it in. The tang difference if one, too easy, done w bedding.

Or, u could hobby the woodwork yourself. Give you a satisfaction lasting a lifetime. Look up how to do the work on u'tube and fix it yourself, like I said, with a lifetime memory.

Could get a hogue over mould stock new off ebay.

Screenshot_20220102-212109_eBay.jpg

Or a nice wood like this one

Screenshot_20220102-212155_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
I live in a small apartment, so doing the work myself is out. Beside, I know my limits, and that is way past them.
I had thought of the Hogue, but figured that wouldn't fly around here. There is also Boyds.
I keep an eye on ebay, and have missed two factory Laredo HS stocks.