• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report winchester supreme ballistic silvertip .308

Re: winchester supreme ballistic silvertip .308

If you're referring to the 168 grain, other than being supremely expensive it's about as accurate a factory load as you could ever purchase.

i blew up a pigs shoulder once with one..........he ran like a mutha-fucker on three legs....till the shot behind the ear planted him

well...no,, one is a match bullet the other is a hunting bullet....but they fly pretty much the same

It is what I have used for big pigs and whitetails for the last 5 years or so. The 168gr tracks my 175 BH loads to 400yds very well. It is 3/4 MOA out of my GAP which is all I can ask of a hunting round. I have also found it to shoot very well from a Steyr SSG and AI. I have only seen one gun that didnt like it. Its performance is very good- knocks the piss out of whitetail. They drop DRFT. I wouldnt use it on thick skinned, tough animals or for bad shots, though, as I have found its expansion to be fairly rapid and almost explosive.

The 155 (or 150gr) stuff is the first ammo of any kind that my GAP didnt like, though. It shot like crap- 2MOA or so. I avoid that loading.

I get 3/4 inch groups out of every rifle I try it in,took a does head off with one

I will never use it again for my 308. It seems to shoot a little better out of my 243ssm I suppose it could have been a bad lot but I am not going to risk it.

I have tried them as well. My groups went from .5 to 1.5. Maybe my rifle doesn't like them. Dunno, but I am not paying another $30 to find out.