• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester White Box 7.62 ammo

mudstud

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2007
Dakota
Local money pit got in some Winchester white box 7.62x51 147gr. FMJ ammo for $16.99/20. I noticed the brass is WCC marked, and has the little NATO circle doohickey on it. Would this ammo be worthwhile for general plinking in a DPMS LR-308? Is the brass any good for reloading? Are the primers crimped? Thanks for all responses!
smile.gif

Re: Winchester White Box 7.62 ammo

Q3130 is darned good NATO fodder, and the answers to your questions would be "Yes"...

Thanks, T44! I believe I will pick up some of that tomorrow!
grin.gif

If your range doesn't allow magnetic ammo, then you won't be able to use Q3130. It uses a steel jacket with a thin layer of copper.

The primer will have a slightly depressed ring around it if the primers are crimped, you will need to swage it out after depriming, or use a chamfer tool to cut it out. Otherwise it is regular winchester brass and will be fine for reloading.

That's interesting. I wasn't aware that any commercial ammo used crimped primers. Thanks for the update.

Greg

As a follow-up to this thread, this Winchester ammo is Q3130, as previously pointed out. The brass is head-stamped WCC 08 and the primer pockets are crimped. The bullet is NOT magnetic. I checked several with a magnet, and even verified my magnet was working! I also had heard on another forum that Q3130 was IMI, not Winchester, but I see no indication of that, the boxes say "Made in U.S.A. Olin Corp."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudstud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a follow-up to this thread, this Winchester ammo is Q3130, as previously pointed out. The brass is head-stamped WCC 08 and the primer pockets are crimped. The bullet is NOT magnetic. I checked several with a magnet, and even verified my magnet was working! I also had heard on another forum that Q3130 was IMI, not Winchester, but I see no indication of that, the boxes say "Made in U.S.A. Olin Corp." </div></div>

The Q3130 that I have is magnetic. Maybe not all of it is, depending on when/where it is made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's interesting. I wasn't aware that any commercial ammo used crimped primers. Thanks for the update.

Greg </div></div>

This isn't the regular .308 WWB. This stuff is marked 7.62mm and is basically like Federal XM80, identical to military issue 7.62x51mm NATO thus the crimped primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's interesting. I wasn't aware that any commercial ammo used crimped primers. Thanks for the update.

Greg </div></div>

I have 1 case each from 2 lots of Fiocci 223 ammo. 1 is crimped, one is not.

The first set I reloaded was not and didn't think much of it until I tried putting primers back into the second lot, only to be annoyed that I had about 985 cases to chamfer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudstud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this steel jacket hard on barrels? </div></div>

Yes, I shoot it in an old beater M44 and MN 91/30, my "good" rifles only get hard cast or jacketed stuff.

Wow is that shit expensive!!!!! I bet he's making a bundle on that ammo!

Is there a way to tell if it's crimped without trying to press a primer into it? If mine is crimped, what tool do I need to reload them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a way to tell if it's crimped without trying to press a primer into it? If mine is crimped, what tool do I need to reload them? </div></div>

If it has a nice round edge where the primer goes in and no circular or 3 pronged marks then it isn't crimped.

If you push the primer out and see a sharp edge on the primer pocket and/or it has a circular stamping mark it's crimped.

To remove the crimp you need a chamfer or deburring tool, an electric drill is nice too.

Or you can use a swaging tool.