• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester

96coal449

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
Desiring to build a bolt gun. I would like to put something together with a pre-64 style M70.
Would love an FN SPR. Budjet says otherwise.
Any advise? Doesn't seem to be a lot available for M70s.

Buy a different action, especially if you’re on a budget. Fewer gunsmiths work on them, they cost more to barrel installs because of the extractor cut, aftermarket support sucks, and resale value is complete shit.

For what you’ll spend on a decent action (or what an existing one you have could be sold for) and the cost of trueing it you can buy a Origin or Coup De Grace and have a better action that you can just buy prefits for, get great deals on used prefits to swap calibers if you want, and have endless aftermarket support as far as stocks and triggers go.

Reactions: msgriff
Agree with the above statement.
I have three FN SPR rifles.
I have been scratching up parts for several years now.
Have one in a manners mcs t, one in a McMillan htg and one in the original stock.
Four kinds of bottom metal, cdi, pt&g, both fn bottom metals. Stuff is hard to find.
No chassis available now that I know of.
While they are good rifles, just a pain to customize like you want.
Do a 700 platform. Money saved.

Reactions: msgriff
Buy a different action, especially if you’re on a budget. Fewer gunsmiths work on them, they cost more to barrel installs because of the extractor cut, aftermarket support sucks, and resale value is complete shit.

For what you’ll spend on a decent action (or what an existing one you have could be sold for) and the cost of trueing it you can buy a Origin or Coup De Grace and have a better action that you can just buy prefits for, get great deals on used prefits to swap calibers if you want, and have endless aftermarket support as far as stocks and triggers go.
Agree with the above statement.
I have three FN SPR rifles.
I have been scratching up parts for several years now.
Have one in a manners mcs t, one in a McMillan htg and one in the original stock.
Four kinds of bottom metal, cdi, pt&g, both fn bottom metals. Stuff is hard to find.
No chassis available now that I know of.
While they are good rifles, just a pain to customize like you want.
Do a 700 platform. Money saved.

I here you both. Always liked to be different. You both have me thinking alternatively.

I have other projects that I have to finish first, and pressing financial priorities first. I've never owned a bolt gun and I've been wanting one.
Lots to think about. I'm thinking 18'' chambered in 308. Decent reach, and handy portable. My rural area is in the hills. Most shooting would be 600yrds and in. When I've got some time, I'll do a couple builds on paper first. See what my budget is.....

This is precision shooting man, not where’s Waldo. Practicality wins. There’s reasons why certain platforms have gotten the traction they have and others have basically died off.

You would be better off spending the same on a decent factory rifle as you would just buying a 70 action and having it trued, never mind the extra $800 for barrel and fitting, $200 for coating, and another $1000 for a stock and trigger.

If you want to spend a bunch of money building a rifle on an inferior platform that will never be worth 1/3 of what you put into it just for the sake of being different (like nobody’s done it before) there’s several gunsmiths that will happily take your money.

"an inferior platform"..................That kinda hurts my feelings. I love me some Winchesters!

Reactions: 96coal449
If a fellow wants a pre64 Winchester Model 70, I get it. I still pine over not buying a pre 64 in 300 H&H at the seemingly bargain price of $1700.00 (including a period scope). Find one, buy it, keep it, maybe shoot it and enjoy it. But if rebuilding it is the point, being different just to be different really makes “0” sense. Ruin any value it may have in the future and wind up with a very expensive rifle that might (but probably won’t) measure up to the current custom offerings at no more and probably less than the cost of breaking up a Model 70. As far as a model 70 clone, or a close copy but not a Mauser 98, makes even less sense. Now converting a vintage or antique Mauser 98 to a custom Precision rifle???? (That’s where our National congress could/should take real action instead of continually arguing the benefits of forcing woke shit down our throats.)

So, I say NO. Leave it. Lots of wonderful CRF custom actions, allowing a fellow to build a really, really nice custom rifle that meets any need he might specify.

Reactions: 96coal449
Was just thinking here out loud. I'll build something more in tune with the recommendations posted.
If someday I happen across an FN, when funds allow, I'm game.
Thanks fellas ..... it's why I asked here.