• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Wind and the SMK 175

HOG0317

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Just a general question here, what's the most windage you have ever had to apply at 1000 yds with a SMK 175? While I was at Sniper School, I remember using 4.5 mils right on the UKD range (wind was absolutely horrible) at, IIRC, roughly 950 yds.

I ask this because I'm considering buying a USO SN-3 3.2-17x44 with US #3 M40 windage with stop, but it only has 5 mils left and 5 mils right adjustment. I did the math, and if you have a 20 mph full value wind at 1000 yds, you would need roughly 5.9 mils of windage. I understand that conditions like that are highly unlikely... and that if said conditions occured, you could dial the 5 mils and just use a hold. I just prefer to dial in wind because it was how I was always taught. I guess i'm just a creature of habit haha. Anyway, thanks for any responses.

Re: Wind and the SMK 175

I do.

First long range match I went to, I tried keeping up with the wind (nasty switching head wind that day), and ended up going from 4+ mils one way to 3.5 mils the other way over the space of four shots trying to keep it in the 8 ring (full sized LR target). It was one of those days
wink.gif
If the wind had actually been full value rather than 1/4-1/2 value... I would have really been hosed.

After that... I became a firm believer in finding a dominant condition or two, figure an average wind for each, pick one and dial it on. Leave it on and then hold off as necessary to put 'em in the X/10 ring. Shoot the one condition as much as possible, but be prepared to shoot the other one if time gets short or it doesn't look to be coming back.

YMMV,

Monte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOG0317</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1093067&gonew=1#UNREAD

What school was that exactly? </div></div>

That would be U.S. Marine Corps Scout Sniper Basic Course, Camp Pendleton. I'd send you my class picture if you require it as proof, but I'm in Iraq right now... sorry </div></div>
its like 2am there, wtf are you doing online.

I have myself on a reverse schedule. Since we operate at night, I stay up all night and sleep during the day. Not only does it make patrolling at night much easier, it makes time fly by! I usually wake up just in time for dinner... even though "dinner" is nothing to get excited about haha. I've been here for three months now and it seems like i've been here 3 weeks.

"I understand that conditions like that are highly unlikely... " i wish 20mph wind at 1000 was highly unlikely. you know the saying though wish in one hand...

If you are that concerned about the limits of a stop, why not just order the #3 without the stop. I can't see your getting lost in the knob in a single turn. In the event you have to turn past the halfway mark you will just see 5L when you might be 6R but these conditions will be few and far between. I have the #3 without the stop, but I am not a professional.
YMMV=Rob

I agree with you Monte. Dial the wind you have the most of an do a slight hold off for the changes. It works alot better for me too.

I shoot with a ex SF sniper who is currently a FBI SWAT sniper an we go round an round about hold offs or dialing. He always shoots for,"Minute of a man" I shoot for his button.

My son went to sniper school and came home using hold offs all the time but I finally convinced him that its easier to hold off for a 3mph wind than a 13mph wind. (Dial for a 10mph wind an hold for a 3mph)

Dialing wind is a good technique if you are shooting at a single target.

On the other hand, if you may need to engage multiple targets at multiple distances quickly, you may not want to dial wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are that concerned about the limits of a stop, why not just order the #3 without the stop.
YMMV=Rob </div></div>

You get 5 mils of wind with a stop, plus have at least another 5 mils of hold off with the reticle. That's 36 minutes. 36 minutes at 1k yards is like 28 FEET. On a KD range if you held that much wind you'd be holding on a target 4 targets away from yours.

The erector has approx 45 MOA of travel either side of center, when the elevation is in the center of the scope. When you move the reticle beyond center then your windage travel decreases. Unless you get a heavily canted base, say 40-50 MOA, your erector is not going to be in the center on a really long shot where max travel would be needed and you having the ability to dial much beyond 5 mils anyway.

Al Warner's #1 rear sight has 23 MOA of travel each side of center and his #2, aka "long range" site has 36 MOA of travel each way. He told me in his long shooting career he has exactly one time had to dial in wind that was beyond that capable by the #1 site, though most of us LR guys buy the #2 anyway.

http://warner-tool.com/sights.htm

All this said, I have the #3 with and without the stop. They act the same, particularly considering I hold the vast majority of the time for wind. The next USO will have a covered #1 for this reason.

HTH and good luck with your configuration.

Lindy,
Correct as usual!! On multiple timed targets or pop ups I have my rifles zero set for 600yds then use my mil dots for holds. You just don't have the time to change the zeros even with the M3s its tough to do.

Have been practicing these last few weeks with a new combo
175 smk's and 43.0 RL-15 cci 200's ( to low on fed 210m's)
and I'm in moa's sorry however its 35.0 MOA to a 1000 yards
with great results however the conditions have been in the morning and
wind was only 2 moa and groups have been excellent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who the fuck dials ?</div></div>

Past weekend at ASC I was running 155 Lapuas in a 308 Shooting over 1000yds. At one point I was at 8.5 MILS. What allows those holds, USO MPR won't? Diled 4 and held the rest.
Goerge and moon convinced me that a 7WSM runs 1/2 the wind as a 308!